Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dension GBL3AU2 (reposted from Audiworld)

Old 12-24-2012, 10:39 AM
1st Gear
Default Dension GBL3AU2 (reposted from Audiworld)

Anyone have this installed on their C5 A6?

I am old school so I do like the fact the stock Symphony II head system the car came with has the CD/tape combo. Yes, I know I can convert my tapes to digital. Still working on converting my vinyls.

I do not want to change out the head system with an aftermarket one having lcd screen, navigation, etc. This Dension contraption would add an Ipod input and blue tooth as well as additional USB port for flash drive. Seems pretty easy, except that the installation documentation states that to have blue tooth work with phone, the stock carphone module would have to be disconnected. I do not think these are even enabled in later versions of C5 A6s. Is that correct?

The fact that my car does not have SAT NAV or external CD changer in trunk makes this even more perfect as I should have that input unused in back of the head. Voila, all of the niceties of blue tooth, IPOD, and USB input compatible with stock head radio/CD/Casette and steering wheel controls for around $200.

Out of curiosity though, if I ran into a good deal for the the Navi plus head, is this simple plug and play or do you need to get additional parts added for naviagation to work?

Here is a link I found which describes the suite of Audi systems and possible upgrades: http://109.87.33.216/manuals/auto/audi/1.pdf

Thanks.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:18 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up Dension Gateway Lite BT GBL3AU2

I have just installed the Dension GBL3AU2 in my 1999.5 A4 with Concert 1 radio.

see this thread.

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-...player-190177/

Old 12-30-2012, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

Thank you. I did not want to pick one up until I heard some feedback from a board member. The price from the shop you bought it from was less than the one I was looking at froma NJ dealer.

I do not have the external CD changer in the trunk, but from your explanation, I may have the harness connectors to a cd changer connected to the back of the Symphony Head unit anyway. I guess in case I decided to pick up one afterwards.

If I understand your explanation correctly, I disconnect the external changer connector from the head unit and connect it instead to an open connector on the Dension harness? Does this allow the external to maintain functionality?

I thought I read that you can have either or but not both the external and the Dension. Not that it matters to me as i do not have an external CD player, but wondering why I would have to plug the external CD harness to the Dension if the external is not usable anyway.

Oh well, guess I have to see it for myself. BTW, the shop posted some install videos and recommended the mic be placed right next to the head unit. See here:

This is for the GBL1AU but I think the functions are basically the same.

Last edited by MDRSK; 12-30-2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Noticed the price was listed in the link provided by Britpoptwo
Old 12-30-2012, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

I edited the last post since I did not notice that the link you provided led to the shop where you purchased it. The price that you paid was less than the place where I was going to buy, but when I actually went through the online purchase process and calculated tax and shipping, the place in NJ offered a $10 discount for now and then it showed free shipping to my zipcode so it is actually a few dollars less $144.99 vs$148.95. Not a big deal but I also need the radio removal keys and the place in CA did not seem to have it listed in their website. The one in Jersey did so for $5.99the end price is roughly the same, except I can get the keys as well.

Thanks again!

Last edited by MDRSK; 12-31-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

The Dension replaced the in trunk CD changer - mine is still in the trunk plugged into the 13pin connector (without the 6 disc magazine installed) it is dead once the connector is removed from the back of the radio so remove your CDs first! I forgot and had to connect it back up to get my CDs out

MDRSK - you do not have a trunk changer so just go ahead and fit the Dension per the install guide. You will have the large 20pin connector in your radio even though you do not have a CD changer in the trunk. Shown below as connector block C - mine was solid black, some are split three color plugs C1 C2 C3.

You didn't say if you wanted it for ipod or USB ..... for playback from USB you just need a regular memory stick or hard drive formatted to fat16 or fat 32
If you want to use your ipod you will need the Dension IP05DC9 iPod Cable and if you want to use it as an AUX in you will need Dension CABL-AUX Auxiliary Cable.
NOTE - you can only plug one of these in a at time because they use the same socket ....... for this reason I put the Dension in the glove box - this allows me to plug the memory stick in without an extension cable or easiliy
plug in either cable for ipod or AUX.

Attached Thumbnails Dension GBL3AU2 (reposted from Audiworld)-isopin.jpg  

Last edited by britpoptwo; 12-31-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:23 AM
1st Gear

Thanks, Brit. It will probably be used mostly for Blue Tooth so I can use the cell phone as hands free unit. I do not have an IPhone, but for music listening I do have an IPOD classic.

Do I need to buy a "Dension" IPOD cable? Could I not simply plug in the IPOD into a USB port on the Dension Adapter Unit? If so, would not a regular IPOD cable work just as well?

I looked up the Dension Cable and the CABL-AUX auxiliary cable you mentioned and note that both have the round pin connector that can be plugged into the Adapter unit. So does that mean radio controls or steering wheel controls not work with non-Dension IPOD cables (i.e. regular USB port type cables)?

Seems to me that the aux cable is beneficial only if I wanted to be able to use other non-IPOD type MP3 players to run through the head unit as well.

So much for New Years resolution to cut back on spending for car....

Last edited by MDRSK; 01-01-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MDRSK
I edited the last post since I did not notice that the link you provided led to the shop where you purchased it. The price that you paid was less than the place where I was going to buy, but when I actually went through the online purchase process and calculated tax and shipping, the place in NJ offered a $10 discount for now and then it showed free shipping to my zipcode so it is actually a few dollars less $144.99 vs$148.95. Not a big deal but I also need the radio removal keys and the place in CA did not seem to have it listed in their website. The one in Jersey did so for $5.99the end price is roughly the same, except I can get the keys as well.

Thanks again!
So you have it? Does the dension system work well?