Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dirty windshield gap..w/ new wipers

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 05:45 PM
1st Gear
Default Dirty windshield gap..w/ new wipers

So I finally got around to looking this up. Last winter I repalced my wipers (aero) because the passanger one would leave a large gap (in the center) and not clear, the driver one would not clear and leave large streaks on the left side of it. I got new wipers from the dealer and they did the exact same thing, no difference at all. It is starting to get really annoying since winter is comming again. Could it have anything to do with the tension on the springs? Any advise is much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:07 PM
1st Gear
Default Wiper streaking/missing

Yes, it could. As well as rusty pivots in the arm.

If you find a wiper chattering across the window, it has to do with the angle that it meets the glass at.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:42 AM
2nd Gear

Corroded pivots on the arm where the blade attaches. Pull the cap back to expose the pivot bar. Soak it good with PB Blaster or the equivilent, rock the blade back and forth to loosen the pivot up, then hit it with some marine grade grease and push the cap back into position. Repeat as needed.

Bob

Old 10-08-2009, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by bob martin
Corroded pivots on the arm where the blade attaches. Pull the cap back to expose the pivot bar. Soak it good with PB Blaster or the equivilent, rock the blade back and forth to loosen the pivot up, then hit it with some marine grade grease and push the cap back into position. Repeat as needed.

Bob
Hi Bob, my only comment is using grease except for a temp fix..it's oily so collects dust and dirt like a magnet, if the arm is corroded...bite the bullet and replace it.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:39 AM
2nd Gear

The grease is covered by the cap, but will get flushed out eventually by rain water. It is intended to slow down the re-corrosion of the pivot. A little bit of sand would actually help by sanding down the corrosion, but, if you are concerned, leave it off.

I did mine a year ago and have yet to redo it, so I think this is more than a "temp fix" and it sure beats the cost of a new arm!

Bob

Old 10-09-2009, 10:59 AM
1st Gear

thanks for the advice. The pivots were in fact rusted, especially the passenger one which I had to use pliers to move it. I did put marine grease on it for the time being. Thanks a lot bob martin for the advise, works like a charm now. I'm sure I'll have to replace the arm at some point considering that living in Michigan this will happen again, but for now I couldn't be happier. Thanks again.