Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door closes on legs - chimes wont stop

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Default Door closes on legs - chimes wont stop

A6 Avant 2006, 15,000 miles. Great car but.........

Since we got it the driver's side door wants to slam on my wife's legs as she tries to exit the car in narrow parking spots like you find in any commercial garage. Even when the car is parked on the flat. If the door doesn't hit one of the far detents, it comes back - hard, broken skin and black and blue marks. Anyone have a solution for this issue? The car is not going to be with us much longerif we can't get this fixed.

Same car. When we park the car to run an errand (like get the mail or pick up a loaf of bread) and someone remains in the car to wait, with the ignition on, the reminder chimes go off continuously. Anyone have a fix or a way to shut off the chime. A local tuner shop is willing to go into the computer to kill it but there must be an easier way. The dealer of course, won't touch this as they say it is mandatory safety equipment but none of our other cars have such an invasive chime.

Help is appreciated.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Door closes on legs - chimes wont stop

The first complaint is probably the most retarded ive heard in quite a while.............
the door shouldn't do that so try using some WD-40 or silicone spray on the hinges to loosen them up.
As for the door chime, your saying that if you leave the ignition on (engine running) the driver gets out and closes the door and the chime keeps going?

Old 11-12-2007, 09:03 AM

If we stop to pick up the mail from our mail box, driver gets out, then the chime goes on and on. If you're the passenger sitting inthe car when the driver gets out, you have to power down the car inorder to stop the noise.That's fine on a nice spring day when it's not hot but in the middle of the summer when the AC should be on, it's a problem.

On the door closing, the hinges work fine, it is the power of the return springs pressing the lever against the detent cam that seems to be disproportionately igh. From 15 inches open (measured at the back of the door) the slamming force will mash a finger. Both doors have the same force, or close to it. I'm looking for a way to reduce the spring force.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:42 AM
2nd Gear

The Audi return springs are really aggresive! They are not world calss, at all! They remind me of a 60's GM car I had that tried to amputate you every time you opened the door. The only solution is to put your foot out to act as a door stop until the door finds a fixed position. If your wife finds this unaccaptable (which is understandable in this day and age) you will have to trade the car. BMWs have much nicer door hinges!

Good luck,

Bob

Old 11-12-2007, 03:23 PM
1st Gear

The door chime should stop once the door is closed. I can understand it the chimes being on with the key in the ignition and the car not on. But check the door itself seems like it is not making contact and the system thinks the door is open hense the continious chimes. Asp er the door slamming I have not seen that or it has not happen on mine.