Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door panel removal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 03:28 AM
1st Gear
Default Door panel removal?

1996 A6 Quattro

I want to remove the front door panels but have run into a problem.

I removed the REAR door panels by removing the 2 screws in the grab handle and 2 screws at each end (at the top) of the panel. I was then able to slide the panel upward to disengage it from the door. Very easy actually.

NOW I have removed the same screws from the FRONT panel but can not slide the panel up to disengage it. I am afraid to put much more pressure on it for fear of breaking something. It feels as thought there is another screw somewhere that I'm not finding.

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Old 08-20-2008, 05:36 AM
3rd Gear

Starting at the bottom and gently try prying the prying the pannel away from the door. There are plastic clips. If you break one sit on the grass and cry for about 10 minutes and then go to Autozone and get a repacement. --You can skip the crying part if you want but it is part of the fun when working on an Audi.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:05 AM
1st Gear

Being a long time Corvette owner I am well familiar with the crying part. You can't break anything on one of them that costs less than $50.

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try. Now, let me see.... where did I leave my pry bar???

Be safe,

Ken

Old 08-20-2008, 06:33 PM

Do you have the Bentley shop manual CD?

Old 08-20-2008, 08:06 PM

The inner front door handle has a cover, which hides two screws. There is a screw that holds the seat memory module in place in the door pocket. There is one screw at the rear and one at the front of the door panel. The door panel is held in place by two tabs at the rear, two at the front and four at the bottom. To remove the panel it must be pushed upward, so that the tabs will come out of the slots in the door frame.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:17 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by a6hcw
The inner front door handle has a cover, which hides two screws. There is a screw that holds the seat memory module in place in the door pocket. There is one screw at the rear and one at the front of the door panel. The door panel is held in place by two tabs at the rear, two at the front and four at the bottom. To remove the panel it must be pushed upward, so that the tabs will come out of the slots in the door frame.
Correct amundo my friend! BUT the panel still would not push upward.

I do not have the aforementioned manual but I DO have access to ALLDATAPRO.COM online. The exploded view shows the 4 screws that you pointed out. What it does NOT show is the screw located behind the door release THAT IS COVERED by the glued on leather upholstery!!! Removed the screw and VOILA! The panel came right off.

What I learned on this project IS.... THERE ARE 4 SCREWS IN THE REAR DOORS AND 5 IN THE FRONT.....

One more point.... DO NOT pry on the panel! You WILL break something alright and it WON'T be replaceable at Auto Zone!

Thanks for all the help for this new guy!!!

Ken

Old 08-22-2008, 11:20 PM

How did you find the screw, if its under the glued on leather? Did you feel a bump in the leather?
The rear door panel of the 1998 A6 wagon also has hidden screws, which are not shown in the Audi shop manual CD.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:38 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by a6hcw
How did you find the screw, if its under the glued on leather? Did you feel a bump in the leather?
The rear door panel of the 1998 A6 wagon also has hidden screws, which are not shown in the Audi shop manual CD.
Actually I noticed a small hole in the leather that is MUCH smaller than the screw head!
I probed the hole with a pocket screwdriver and realized the it was a philips head screw. I just gently pulled the leather loose and removed the screw.

Ken

In fact I will take a couple pics tomorrow, post them on my web server and post a link to them.

Last edited by kjones6039; 08-22-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

Here is a link to some pics of the project.

http://kenscars.kandlservices.com/doorpanel/

Ken

Old 08-25-2008, 01:04 AM

I had the same problem with the trunk lid lock cylinder on my 1996 A6. I bought it with the trunk lock broken. The Bentley CD does not include the information for the trunk release mechanism. The plastic parts of the lock cylinder which broke have been redesigned and the newer plastic parts obtained from a used newer cylinder will fit the older cylinder.
There was also something wrong with the drivers door lock cylinder, as the key has to be turned twice to open the drivers door. I never got around to fixing it because so many things were broken on this car when I bought it.
A spring for the air return and fresh air flaps had broken loose from its anchor. This also was not included in the Bentley CD.
That is why I can get a used Audi so cheap! However, the car sat in my driveway for about two years before it was driveable.