Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Window Cable

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 05:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Driver Window Cable

My cable broke for the drivers side window and now the window will not go down. Everything else works so I was wondering if I could buy the cable itself and just replace it. If so, where?

Thank you in advance.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:12 PM
1st Gear
Default status?

Hi, did you get this sorted? I ask because mine is almost broken..., the cable is frayed.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Repair/Replace damaged cable

As per my previous post the cable on my drivers door had 'frayed' and hence, the window was jammed. The repair by replacement was well over $100 and it seemed a little overkill when it was only the 1 (of 4) cables that was damaged and I didn't see why I needed to spend that much cash! So here's my $5 fix:

1) I bought a high quality bike inner brake cable.
2) Removed the motor/regulator unit and opened up the drive where the cables terminate.
3) Measured the length of the existing damaged cable - exactly (otherwise the tension on re-assembly would be out).
4) Cut the cable from the pink (in my photo) slider/guide.
5) On the end of the new cable I fastened a small block with a slotted screw to hold the cable in the slider/guide.
6) Fitted the Window Glass back in place and slid the window up and down by hand to make sure everything worked correctly and smoothly.
7) Removed the Glass again and then used epoxy resin to secure permanently the new cable with small block and screw. (It doesn't look too tidy in the photos however, as long as it doesn't catch/fowl anything its fine)
8) Re-greased all the sliders/guides, slide rails, cables, pulleys, regulator cog/pulley.

If you go for this fix, I can't stress enough how important it is to get the tension right - but it is easy. The two springs at the ends of the cables that terminate at the regulator need to be compressed when the tension is right, too slack and the cables will slip off the pulley. The photos show the cables too slack - you can see the springs are not compressed. Sorry I never took a final photo when the tension was correct, that's when the springs are at half the size shown in the photo.

Attached Thumbnails Driver Window Cable-2.jpg  
Attached Images   

Last edited by kjopen; 02-10-2013 at 05:14 PM.