Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's window problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 02:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Driver's window problem

I just started having a problem with my driver's window in my 2001 A6 2.7T recently. The problem seems to be very erratic and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas. The problem is that the window will go down fine but when trying to put the window up it stops about 5 inches (sometimes 1 inch) from the top of the window frame. If left in that position the window will then suddenly go up a very small amount and then go down about 3 to 4 inches (this also happens sometimes when hitting the switch to make the window go up. All the other windows in the car are working fine and I can get the driver's window to go up all the way if I help the window up with my hand. One more thing to note is that when the window first starts to move up it seems to be moving fine but then it gradually slows to a half. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:35 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Driver's window problem

Well after some more searching on the internet it seems like it could be the window guides. I also read that this may be a recall but couldn't find out if it was recalled on the 2001. Anyone know? Thanks.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:44 PM
1st Gear

sounds like the cable regulator to me. if so you need to replace the whole assembly, which you can get from ECS.

Old 09-13-2005, 07:41 PM

I had this problem on BOTH of my rear windows... I THINK it is indeed the window glides... I think what's happing is that they stick a bit and then the automatic reversing safety feature kicks in and backs it down again. The only way I could get them to close was to just do a bunch of very short clicks on the window switch to slowly "coax" the window up... I thought this might be the problem because my passenger side window was very slow moving also. I hit all the window glides with a shot of silicone spray to clean/lubricate them and that fixed my passenger side and ONE of the rear windows... I still have a problem with the other rear window...

Heck... try cleaning/spraying the window glides with silicone spray... it just might work well for you.

-NavNut

Old 09-14-2005, 04:51 PM
2nd Gear

Mine does the same thing. The bad thing is I can't find a straight answer of what fixes it. Some say guides, some say regulators, motors...I'm gonna try the silicone, and see if that helps it out. Whatever it is it's a huge PITA!

Old 09-15-2005, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

Mine was doing the same exact thing. Just had the guides replaced on both front windows under the CPO warranty and now everything is silk!! So I guess it was just the guides getting the window in a bind and like said before the auto reverse system kicks the window down. If you don't have the warranty, ECS sells them for like $12 each window. Hope this helps out.

Andy

Old 09-15-2005, 07:50 PM
1st Gear

Hi, This is a stock fault on the A6 (and A4 I think). It is indeed the guides that fail . The type of plastic used on the originals disintegrates. The cost of replacement guides is minimal £3-4 pounds and you can easily do the job yourself and save a lot of money. Audi recomends changing the whole regulator assembly but this is NOT necessary. If needed I can give you the part number for the guides as I have done my own drivers side and am about to do the passengers. There is a very good article on this on the AUDI WORLD website under "Slow Windows" I think, but certainly in Stoney's FAQ's. Make sure you put plenty of lithium grease on the moving parts if you do the job yourself. Good luck!

Old 09-22-2005, 03:46 PM
1st Gear

It ended up being that one of the guides was broken. Replaced both of them very easily and now the window works great. Thanks for the replies. (I would have replied sooner but I am on vacation and do not have much access to the internet). Thanks again.