Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.

Driverside Headlight issue

Old 04-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Default Driverside Headlight issue

I am having the most annoying problem with my driverside headlight... I made the switch from Halogens to HIDs. I love them, I love being able to see ALOT better, but what I don't like is for some odd reason, I've had to replace my driverside HID unit 3-4 times, I don't know why... Its driving me crazy, any one else have this problem?

I also just got in the mail a "Recall" for the headlight switch. I wonder if that could have anything to do with it?

One more question, my battery gauge is constantly between 14-16(18? - not in the car at the moment) Any one elses do that?

Its a 2000 A6 2.7T

Please give me all the suggestions you have, any information provided will be greatly accepted.

(By the way, does anyone sell a rear diffuser for 2000 A6s? The piece that goes along the top of the back window? I've seen them for A4s, and other year A6s, but never mine)

Thanks again,

King

Old 04-22-2009, 01:38 PM
1st Gear

Check the battery voltage with a volt meter and confrim, dont trust that cheapo panel meter. Do you have fail ballast or bulb, 18 volt can certainly do it, it can be a bad voltage regulator in your car. Finally, where did you buy the HID kit, I hope its not one of those $79 kit from Ebay.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:04 PM

My original kit came from some place that was recommended by someone on this server, those blew... So I bought another kit from someone I know, that failed... So I bought new headlights. (because I needed them). And I am having trouble with those...

The bulbs work, its the ballast. I was thinking of maybe trying to figure out a way to run a relay to the lights so that way, when they turn on, they will get proper voltage, rather than what the actual Halogens use to turn on which start up on those is next to nothing, but I am not to sure I have the time, parts, or money to do it.

any ideas?

Old 04-23-2009, 02:27 PM
3rd Gear

I think HID take more voltage than regular headlights, or halogen, and those ballast do something to increase the voltage delivery. If they're burning out, there is something wrong.

A 12 volt system actually runs at 2.2v per cell and there are 6 cells = 13.2v. So the voltimeter should be showing between 13-14v for normal operation. A heavy electrical load will drag it down just a little. If it's running higher, than there may be something wrong with your alternator. When my alternator failed, the needle dropped to 12v exactly and just sat there as the battery discharged.

Suggest a free alternator/charging system check at Autozone. They'll also test your battery. Be aware they sell all this stuff so evaluate the results approrpriately. They told me the battery in my daughter's 2003 A4 3.0 was no good and I've had it an addl 8 months since then. However, it does lose power after sitting for a few days so there is some validity to their diagnosis and I will be replacing it this summer - it's also OEM 6 years old.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:22 AM
1st Gear

On a car like Audi, you should not use the plug and play type of HID kit. Buy a HID kit with a relay harness that connects right to the battery.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:40 PM

I was thinking about getting an Optima for the car, not sure if its worth it at this point. As for the HIDs with the relays straight to the battery, I think you can just buy the relay kit. But I am not sure. I am going to talk to a Local Audi Performance shop (that I just found out was in a city close to mine) and see what they say/sell. Maybe I can get this all fixed. The only other thing is, is that its not just the HIDs. The Halogens did it also, just not as frequent. It was litterally 6months for the Hals, 3-4 for the HIDS. Not sure whats going on, but I will have the recall done on the headlight switch ASAP, I read somewhere that could cause wires to fuse, and burn out lamps quicker if not taken care of soon enough.

Any more suggestions, send them over. Everything is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks again guys.

King