Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft Replacement (slipping, paint can sound, etc)

Old 03-16-2011, 09:58 PM
2nd Gear
Default Driveshaft Replacement (slipping, paint can sound, etc)

Reposting this (from Audiworld) because I'm hoping for an answer soon! So ever since I've owned my car (some three years now) there has been a small vibration when accelerating and it has only gotten worse as the years/months/days go by. I got it diagnosed by an audi dealer (I wouldn't normally take it to them, but there were circumstances that benefited from me doing so) and they quoted the following:
Front center driveshaft joint failed/noisy. Needs new center driveshaft assembly. New shaft $1870.00...Used shaft $741.00
Fair enough, but obviously i'm not going to drop a grand on this car that easily. Additionally, some threads of this happening to people: here, here. Many used driveshaft assemblies can be found on ebay and I am wondering a few things: 1) is there a "correct" driveshaft part number for my '99 A6 2.8l or can i use any of them that are for the C5 and appropriate engine (including 2.7?), 2) what is an estimate to how much would it cost if i, say, had an indy put it in? (i do not have the tools, not to mention if there's a u-joint problem), and 3) would it be a better idea to buy new CV joints to ensure that it will last longer? What all would that entail? Thanks for the help and I'd appreciate any advice!