Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine “knock” after TB change

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 08:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Engine “knock” after TB change

Hey there allroad peeps! 1st post here.. got an 2002 Audi Allroad 2.7t (yay).

Moving on.. So I followed the instructions on ECS website as well as countless other YouTube videos to a “T”. First R&R of timing belt and water pump/thermostat. As well as R&R of valve cover gaskets, tensioner gaskets/ “half moon” gaskets, and coil & plug gaskets. During removal of the harmonic balancer I noticed the “timing marks” were off from one another.. also the timing for the camshafts were off as well (engine ran “rich” before the job FYI) Completed the job and remembered the timing was off for all 3 timing components by 2 to 3 degrees from TDC. Reset the timing marks to where the notches all lined up again perfectly. Filled the coolant lines and then bled the coolant lines as the instructions stated. Upon turning over the motor for initial start the motor runs very very rough now (sounds almost like an engine knock on the passenger side of the engine bay).. I suspect the worst in that the timing was off the whole year (or more) of owning the car.. by resetting the timing components I think the valve may be hitting on the piston now. But the car never “knocked” before now and the timing was off then why would the knock happen now with timing components fully aligned??