Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 04:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Engine Question

Is there a way to get a new engine? My 96 a6 is starting to have major engine problems and ive started looking for new engines to replace mine to make the car last a lot longer because I love my car. Ive tried looking online but im a bit stupid and i couldnt find anything audi. It doesnt have to be new but something newer...

Old 04-08-2008, 07:44 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Engine Question

Call Chris semple at Force five in Concord NH to see what he might have -- 603-223-6700

Old 04-08-2008, 10:09 PM

These aren't new. Find a low mileage one and you should be set
http://car-part.com/

Old 04-09-2008, 05:02 AM
1st Gear

Out of curiosity, what is the mileage currently?

Old 04-09-2008, 06:01 AM
1st Gear

What engine and what problems are you having?

Old 04-09-2008, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

Contact local salvage yards in your area. If an A6 was totalled from the side or the rear, typically they just pull the engine and wait for a buyer. I've seen engines pulled from Audis with 20 or 30k on them, so they are almost as good as new.

The only problem might be who is willing to do the engine swap. I know of one salvage yard in my area that will do it right there onsite for a nominal fee although I would be a little hesitant considering I'm quite sure none of them are Audi experts.

I also would be unsure if you would need to stick with the same engine or if you could possibly go from a 2.8 to a 2.7T (or vice versa). I know the 4.2 wouldn't fit in anything other than a 4.2 engine bay due to the wider fender wells etc, but beyond that anything is possible I suppose.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:03 PM
3rd Gear

Doing anythig except a direct swap is asking for trouble. There are enough problems with these cars without complicationg matters. On second thought -- your asking for big trouble by changing a motor in a 12 year old car. I'll gurantee that you'll have hundreds - no- thousands of little electrical problems. It's like doing heat transplant surgery on a 90 year old guy...

Old 04-10-2008, 08:35 PM

I got a 1996 A6 with the 2.8L AFC engine for $3,000 and it had several problems. The right cylinder head gasket was bad. The passage for the EGR temperatue sensor was blocked by carbon. The radiator fan circuit was rewired to bypass the relays, and would run continuously. The five of the six exhaust manifold studs broke off, so I replaced them with stainless steel studs. The wrong oil had been used, so the vacuum booster for the brakes got plugged. After putting the engine back together, the wire for the EGR temperature sensor broke. After all of this, it got a coolant leak, because I flushed the cooling system of the brown stop leak stuff.
So, before you waste a lot of money, why doen't you say how many miles you have, and what your engine does. Have you checked the compression of each cylinder. Have you checked each sparkplug for fouling? Do you have a VAG-COM or an OBDII scanner? Do you have the shop manual from BentleyPublishing? Some engines go over 200,000 miles.
Also, if you do get a new engine you will need one that is compatible with your wiring harness, your ecm, and the mechanical configuration. Therefore, youmay belimited to the same engine. The dealer parts department can give you the engine part numbers that are compatible, and the years they were made. If you have the 1996 AFC engine, you may also be able to use those made in 1997. The 1998 A6 wagons also have the AFC engine. There may be a problem with the 1995 AFCengines not being OBDII. You can get a quote for a usedengine from www.shokan.com .
It is advisable to have another car, while engaged in the unknown of repairing or replacing an engine. It takes a long time to get special tools and parts. It also takes a lot more time, if you don't use the shop manual, and break something, etc.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:23 PM
1st Gear

Ok well, It has 166k miles on it. When i took it in to the shop, it was idling roughly and having a hard time starting. So before he did anything he called and told me he was going to do a compression test. If it failed then i was going to put in a new engine. But it passed the compression test and the next day i got a phone call saying that three coils were bad, bad spark plugs, and bad spark plug wires. So 2k dollars later its running perfectly.

The other reason i was wondering about the engine was i wanted to do visual mods to the car like rims, and paint and body kits, So i was just looking for the future to see if i would be able to replace the engine instead of buying a new car so i can mod the crap out of it and make it a nice car. To be honest i like the older model audis better than the newer ones.

Sorry it took me so long, internet was down.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Tech Guru

ORIGINAL: shatcher

Ok well, It has 166k miles on it. When i took it in to the shop, it was idling roughly and having a hard time starting. So before he did anything he called and told me he was going to do a compression test. If it failed then i was going to put in a new engine. But it passed the compression test and the next day i got a phone call saying that three coils were bad, bad spark plugs, and bad spark plug wires. So 2k dollars later its running perfectly. dude, you got ripped off if you paid 2k for simple diy stuff.... next time you are having issues like that, ask on here and maybe some one can help you fix it

The other reason i was wondering about the engine was i wanted to do visual mods to the car like wheels, and paint and change the front bumper and side skirts to look more visualy appealing, So i was just looking for the future to see if i would be able to replace the engine instead of buying a new car so i can mod the crap out of it and make it a nice car. To be honest i like the older model audis better than the newer ones.

Sorry it took me so long, internet was down.
there fixed it for you, and call you a fool

Quick Reply: Engine Question