Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

esp/abs fault and parking brake malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 12:17 AM
1st Gear
Default esp/abs fault and parking brake malfunction

I have a 2005 A6 quattro recently the ESP/ABS fault and parking brake malfunction warnings are lit up as well as beeping, the dealership said it could be a ABS module or fuse but I need to bring it in for them to look at (at a $140.00 cost) also said it is a common problem with this year and model. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-25-2012, 10:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Parking brake Malfunction, ESP and ABS

Hi there, any luck finding a solution to your problem? I have a 2006 A6 with all three lights on. I have tried to change brake switch and wheel sensor but no luck. If you figured it out, will you please let me know what was the problem?
Thanks

Old 12-06-2012, 08:46 PM
1st Gear
Default esp running while car is off

any luck with your problem with all the lights,
i have the same issues with the esp, brake etc.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

Hey, this happen on my 2010 A4. They said the pod in the seat was malfunctioning and could not read if a person was sitting in the passenger seat to engage the airbag. They have to take the whole seat apart and replace the pod. I am still covered on warranty, so I can't give a price.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:14 PM
1st Gear

I've just bought an 2000 A6 Quattro with the ABS warning light and flashing warning triangle plus error beeps. From reading up, it's a common problem but I thought only until 2001 models. The known fault is internal to the ABS ECU module, if it is this issue then the ABS ECU should not be communicating to diagnostic systems. Just sent mine off for test and repair for £130 in total.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:08 AM
1st Gear

Hello guys, I have just fixed mine, I had the same exact problem, all 3 lights were on, beeps when u start, etc.

It could be different reasons, but the way to figure out which one it is, is you scan the ABS/Brake system with VAG-COM for faults, instead of just randomly guessing and replacing things in hoping to fix it.

Mine was simply a recoding problem, the ecu somehow forgot its memory and I simply had to recode mine and enter some numbers thru vagcom, no parts were replaced. Then everything worked and went back to normal again.

My advice is scan the ABS/Brake System with VAG-COM, it will tell you exactly what is malfunction and which one you need to replace. Don't guess and buy parts you're not sure of!

Old 01-16-2013, 01:14 AM
1st Gear

I actually did what most of you guys did as well. I guessed and bought a new ABS Module. But luckily, before I proceed to install the new one, I decided to scan the ABS system with vagcom first, and it gave me a result of incorrect coding. So I went ahead and recode it according to Ross Tech instructions and whala, it worked and went back to normal.

I returned the brand new ABS module and got my $$$. Fixed just by diagnostics.
I also had to do a steering calibration as well. here is the link for the coding ---> Audi A6 (4B) Brake Electronics (Bosch 5.7) - Ross-Tech Wiki

and a how to video on youtube

Old 01-16-2013, 03:25 AM
1st Gear

I'm new to Audis and to vagcom (off to look it up!) but from reading up, if it's the ECU then a diagnostics system will return that it can't communicate with the ECU (but communicates fine with all of the other systems). Would you expect the vagcom to actually be able to pick something up if it was an ECU failure?

Old 01-17-2013, 09:51 AM
1st Gear
Default esp running while car is off

had the esp module disconnected and will tolerate the lights remaining on until i have it replaced.

biggest problem with this model is the chain tensioner. do not ignore the maintenance on this issue. have it serviced at least at 100,000 mile or sooner or you will lose your engine as i did.

replaced the 3.2 motor with a used one and all is running well for now.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:43 PM
1st Gear

Had ABS ECU tested, it came back as faulty and I had it rebuilt. Large flashing triangle and warning beeps now gone. ABS light still on but would not be surprised if that's junk off the road in the sensor, as we've had snow and gritted roads for a fortnight.

Drove into work celebrating and the fuel sender started to leak *sigh*

Quick Reply: esp/abs fault and parking brake malfunction