Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty/Many issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 01:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Extended Warranty/Many issues

I have had my A6 2.7T for about 2 years now and I bought used with about 50k miles on it. Is there anyway to find out if any of the 2 previous owners purchased an extended warranty that may be transferrable? The car now has 70k miles and needs the cam seals are leaking, the power steering pump is leaking, the axle boots are torn open, an o2 sensor is bad, the vehicle immobilizer system is giving me trouble, and the guage cluster is on the fritz.....ahhhhhhhh!! Any ideas?

Old 01-04-2008, 01:34 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Extended Warranty/Many issues

Typically, transfer of a warranty must be done within a certain time period of ownership transfer (usually 30 days). Even if a previous owner had purchased one, probably too late to transfer it at this point.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:57 PM
1st Gear

I figured but it may be worth a shot. I have never seen so many issues with a car. I knew going in that this car might give me headaches (based onresearching this and other sites before purchase)but thought the cost of the vehicle was attractive for the return...boy was I wrong! I can understand a couple of the issues, but geeez! If I were to give any advice to someone looking at a used Audi with no warranty is RUNNNNNN!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

The way I look at is is that even fixing all ofthe issues will still be cheaper than buying a new car - it's just a cost of ownership. Premium cars demand premium repairs.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:21 PM
1st Gear

You would think that with as many A6 owners out there that have the bad cam seals that this wouldve become a recall. Unfortunately, its only a TSB and since it doesnt cause a safety threat, Audi can leave there customers in the cold. This is obviously a design flaw and affects many owners. At $1000 plus to repair, this wont help Audi find repeat buyers.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Site Moderator

Actually audi made it a TSB so techs "can't" change the cam seals un-less we change the valve covers first and install an oil dye. In other words techs make a huge amount of money on cam seals. Lets say that you need cam seals on both sides of your 2.7T, its typically about 7.5 hours of labor to change them, i can do both sides in about 1 hour.
You definately need to check out www.ecstuning.com to buy parts for your car, the prices are dirt cheap compared to the dealer and the major cost is the labor. If you lean how to DIY you could literally save thousands of dollars.
An example: Both of your CV boots are torn, the dealer will charge you $200 for the repair kits and 5 hours of labor to change both sides. Thats nearly $1,000, you can buy the CV boot repair kits from ECS for about $60 for both and put them in your self for nothing.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:17 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the tip! Now, I was informed by the Audi Service Writer that they would be dropping the motor to do the seals. Is this correct? If so, then there is no way I would attempt a job like this. As for the CV boots, is this a tough job? I have some experience working on cars (2 turbo installs on 350Zs), but have never worked on an Audi.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:19 PM
1st Gear

I've read the TSB for the o2 sensor and it states that the warranty is 'extended'. Does this mean Audi will assist with this?

Old 01-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Site Moderator

Dropping the motor to do the seals? Thats rediculous, it takes a minimum of 10 hours to pull a 2.7T engine, in the repair manual your supposed to remove the front end, the timing belt and cam shafts, but in reality you only have to remove the valve covers and fish out the cam seals with a pick. You do however need a special tool to compress the cam tensioner to get enough room to get at the cam seal, which you won't have un-less you buy a $600 cam tensioner. [:'(]

As for the CV boot job its very easy as long as you rent the correct tools to do the job. You will need a 17mm allan socket (1/2 inch for the hub bolt)and you will need to rent either a gear puller or slide hammer to seperate the cv joint from the shaft. You can rent a gear puller at autozone for a small deposit that you can get back i believe.

Im not sure what TSB for the O2 sensor they are talking about but if the warranty service says its covered than you have nothing to worry about.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Auditech79! I found this kit from Ecstuning that seems to have alot of the parts I need to replace. The cam tool they describe, is this what I need?

With the great success of our early version Timing Belt Kit ECS has decided to offer a more complete kit with everything customers usually order when replacing their timing belt. ECS ulitmate plus kit also includes items that you may or may not need like the cam & crank seals. ECS Ultimate Plus Timing Belt Kit comes with the following components:
ยท Timing belt
ยท Idler roller
ยท Tensioner roller
ยท Hydraulic tensioner
ยท Relay lever for hydraulic tensioner
ยท Water pump
ยท Cam seals (2)
ยท Crank/Oil pump seal
ยท Thermostat (Behr)
ยท Thermost O-Ring
ยท Accessory drive belt
ยท Two 1.5 Liter bottles of G12 coolant