Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few questions about Audi A6 and tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 03:40 AM
Default Few questions about Audi A6 and tuning

Hi,
My name is Mike, I live in Orlando, Florida. I was thinking of buying Audi A8 but there are almost no performance parts for this car that doesn't cost a lot, and I can't afford Audi S8 which I LOVE - like all Audi's . Any ways I did a little research on Audi A6 which is awesome, there are two engine options that I like 2.7L V6 Bi Turbo and 4.2L V8. By the way I'm looking for a used Audi not NEW - something up to $16000, MAX $18000. It will take me few more months until I will buy it but first I want to make a little reseach to make sure I want it! OK, back to the subiect I think that the 4.2L V8 is the same as A8's and / or similar to those in S8 and S6 / RS6 - maybe without Turbos ( in RS6 ) right ? So if there is no mods for 4.2L V8 than 2.7L V6 Bi Turbo is my way to go. But the reason why I want it is to get some more power from the engine. There is only one thing bothering me, the car I will buy will be with automatic transmission ( tiptronic ) - I have 99% chance for automatic becouse 6 spd manual is very rare ( that's what I readed on the internet ), also I couldn't find anyone selling one in 200 miles from my zip code. So my question is: Can the Tiptronic handle more power ? - what about Giac Tiptronic chip? What kind of modes it can take? I'm thinking about installing: APR ECU Upgrade, Cat-Back exhaust and down pipe, Bi Pipe and blow-off valve's ( DV's ) - I hope, I understood "START HERE! Terminology & Vocab list" and the blow-off valve is same thing as DV. So those are the performance upgrades I would like to install on my future A6. Maybe after I will save about $8000 for K04 Turbo Kit ( orginal / RS4 ) than I would like to add it to the setup above - $8000 b/c the kit is about $6500 and I hope $1500 for labor would be enough. So how much power I can get from Audi A6 2.7L Bi Turbo? - I just want to get less than 6s 0-60mph or to smoke a Corvett, Mustang Cobra and the rice burners. OK, that's all - hope I didn't got too much off topic. I didn't wan't to post a new thread but I readed all Threads about A6 and A8 and didn't found all information that I wanted to know - for example I know that before programming the chip I need to change DV's and TBB.

Thanks for your help, really appriciate it!

P.S.

As far as the RS4 / K04's kit that the last thing I would do or just buy the RS6 if I could afford it .

Best regards,

Michal Kolakowski

Old 05-05-2005, 05:34 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Few questions about Audi A6 and tuning

Welcome to the forum!
You said that you aren't buying the car right now, so keep looking for the 6spd manual.The tranny is a huge limitation when it comes to upgrading the 2.7T, it's so rewarding when you modify it. The A6 2.7T manual stock runs 0-60 mpg in 6 secs flat. $2000 ($2200 with labor) for the APR chip and the exhaust will give you 330 hp and ~400 ft. lbs of torque! The auto tranny can't handle this power, keep that in mind.

I have read that the APR chip/exhaust shave off an entire sec, giving you 5 secs flat for 0-60! BTW, blow off valves and DV's are not the same thing, Audi's have a closed loop system, it comes back to the intake. DV's will cause many problems and the new hybrid DV's/Blow off valves haven't been tested yet. Whenever you do the chip, install the Forge DV's then. K04's with labor can be had for $3500-$4000.

Audis need to have the timing belt replaced no later then 75k miles. You mention a figure of $8000. Including all the upgrades mentioned above, you could also have the RS4 intake, APR bi-pipe,snub mount, sway bars and a coilover job for $8000. With that setup, only few cars would be able to beat you and trust me, you wouldn't be ashamed to lose against them since the cars that could beat you cost >$80000... You would be watching rice, stangs and camaros in your mirror.
For the money you are willing to spend to buy the car, you should be able to find a 2000 A6 2.7T at 50-60k miles. Good luck!

Old 05-05-2005, 06:53 AM
rs
2nd Gear
Default RE: Few questions about Audi A6 and tuning

findin it in 6 spd is hard. keep lookin dude. i almost caved in for a tip, or a totally different car. but then it happened. found one out of town. really far outta town. i live in hamilton ontario. the car was in ottawa (550 km's) from my house. so a nice 5 and half hour drive just for this car. it came with every single option i wanted from the sports package to rear heated seats and bucket/racing seats in the front.

point is, sometimes u gotta go outta town to get ur perfect car. dont rush it, i almost did, and i would have regret it for a long time.

ive had the car for just over a week and added 2000 km's on it, u wont stop drivin it when u find it

good luck!!!

p.s worry bout mods when u find it, the mods wont be hard to find, picking which route to go will be ur hardest choice