Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally bought my 2.7t!! Psyched! Details & a few questions inside...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 07:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Finally bought my 2.7t!! Psyched! Details & a few questions inside...

Hey all. Real quick stats on me & the new car. I am a newbie here, but not to cars. I am not a newbie to forums either, so I know how to search

Just picked up a Black/Black 2001 A6 2.7T, 6 speed, sport package, cold weather package & great condition. I love it. and I have snooped around a little on this forum already pre-buying and am glad to now be a part of the Audi community.

Questions I have, mod related,that I get mixed reviews in searches.

Intake - Am I best with just a drop in filter or the open filter ones? I have read a lot of different opinions on it. My concern with open filter is all the cables & sensors that attach to the stock airbox. I would love the sound of an open intake but if no benefits over drop-in, I wouldn't bother.

Upper RPM Power - I want more upper rpm power. I love how quick the turbos spool & the low rpm power, but I am used to a car that pulls harder & harder up to redline. My other car is a highly modified (500+hp) 300zx Twin Turbo. Granted, those turbos don't kick til 3300+rpm, but when they do... Oh baby...

Chip/ecu - I am torn between GIAC & APR. Reliability is important, power 2nd. If APR is still very reliable, I would love the extra hp. But I can't decide which one.

Exhaust - Not sure if I am even doing one, unless it unlocks a nice amount of power. Might even just do a muffler only change to get a little growl under accelleration. The car is too quiet when you get on it. And there is no way I am spending $1200 on an exhaust, especially since you dont see it on the '01s. Not on this car.

Intent - this car will be my daily driver, not my track car. I drive A LOT for work, almost 2,000 miles a month. So reliability & conservatively proffessional (while still looking enthusiast) is my game plan. I will be lowering the car down the line, but only with some H&R springs. Not coil overs & adjustability like I have on the ZX. And no rush on that either, I am pretty content with the sport package suspension.

So any help on my concerns above would be appreciated. Thanks in advance to any who contribute.

Nick

Old 04-26-2007, 12:24 AM
Default RE: Finally bought my 2.7t!! Psyched! Details & a few questions inside...

Congrats Nick!
Intake - The stock intake box is not at all restrictive. A K&N filterwill work great.
Boost - Most boost loss is caused by torn intake hoses and bad diverter valves. Check for boost leaks and replace the diverter valves if they haven't been recently done. http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=1409
Chip - I had the APR software installed last week. AWESOME difference. Your upper rpm power wishes will be miraculously fulfilled!APR is reliable power...well engineered. I highly recommend it! Check out this article from European Car magazine: http://www.goapr.com/images/europeancar0806.pdf
Exhaust - IMHO, don't bother unless you go to K04 turbos or have wads of cash burning a hole in your pocket.
Handling - I have H-Sport sway bars front & rear. A world of difference in corners & offramps.
Enjoyyour new ride!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:35 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Finally bought my 2.7t!! Psyched! Details & a few questions inside...

Welcome!

First off.....scrap the open air intake, the engine compartment of these car generate massive amounts of heat, your intake will suffer from heat soak.

As far as the chip, GIAC and APR make great quality products, I went with GIAC and am very happy. If you decide to chip, be ready to upgrade your TBB or go with an APR Bi-Pipe. You do not have to worry about an "F" hose with your model year. You will also need to upgrade your DV's as well. I went with Hyperboost with great success. Also remember to take care of your turbo's as well....meaning go easy on start up for a few minutes and go easy prior to shut down.

There is nothing wrong with an exhaust system either. I have a Milltek cat back and love it. I am in the process of purchasing some Vast piggie Dp's as well.

I think you just need to remember that for every "action" there is an opposing "reaction". Upgrading one component will mean you will need to upgrade something else.

Hope this helps and there are many other skilled folks here to help!

OOOO

Old 04-26-2007, 04:01 AM
2nd Gear

Dang i hate you man!! That is SOOO the car I am looking to get right now!! Can I ask how many miles are on it and what you paid?

Old 04-26-2007, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

Wow, some awesome feedback & support from you guys already. Thanks so much.

Alias - It has 80k & I paid $13,500. Not bad considering I still have the orig window sticker that reads $46,675 only 6 years ago. A steal if you ask me...

Still torn on which ecu, but it WILL be my first mod, along with DV's. After that, springs & rear sway (I like a little oversteer).

And exhaust wise, I will prob do piggies first, before cat back. I hear they give a great improvement & they are much cheaper than cat backs. I may do a muffler change too, just for some growl under accelleration. Whatever muffler is most restrictive (mid or rear) I will replace.

And intake wise, I have decided to just do a better drop in (K&N or ITG) along with the Darintake opening.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:34 PM
3rd Gear

I have averaged 30k/yr onmy 2003, used exclusively for business and personal travel. See upgrade details below. The GIAC allows the car to pull very strongly inall gears....almost too strongly in 1st and 2nd. It also removes the electronic governor and I have hit 145-150 but the clutch started to slip. Not sure of the rpm at that speed as I was looking at the road and the speedo.

I chipped at 79k and had to replace the clutch/flywheel at 89k.

With 80k on your vehicle, start considering replacement of the timing belt, tensioners, water pump, etc very soon. My manual called for 105k; I did at 95k; and the forum responses suggested much earlier.

Welcome to the forum - have fun with your Audi!