Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post - gotta start somewhere

Old 12-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Default First post - gotta start somewhere

Hi everyone,

I got a 2001 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro.

Basically i've had this car for about 6 months now and just now i got hit by the audi plague if you will. Anyways i got a bunch sensors that need replacing and bunch of repair work i gotta do. So one thing at a time since its tight budget.

First thing that started flashing was the Washer fluid and its a full tank of washer fluid so its obvious its a sensor - how to deal with this one it beeps everytime.

Secondly, i got a brake warning on i thought it would be brake fluid so i checked for leaks and nothing, and it seems like there is enough of it. Possibly evaporated? anyways i did some searching and realized that it could be the brakes system itself specifically the rotors and pads. Also from one of the forums i realized that if you get warped rotors and you are in DRIVE and your braking on one spot (stop light) the car starts to jerk. And i realized i am getting a pulsation from the brake pedal and it starts to jerk. So that is consistent with the warning sensor im getting for about a week now. I will be changing rotors and pads, so i guess i have to buy 4 of each right? because i will just do all four at once. Any recommendations? Also will the sensor stop popping up after i fix it or i will have to reset myself?

Thirdly i have a question about the ignition coil for my car. As i understand we have coil packs (of 3 coils) and i am wandering where i should look and which kind? ebay? also if someone can post a picture of our coil pack under the hood and give me tips on how to go about changing/replacing them with the new ones.

Also should I change spark plugs as well? how many do our cars have? and which ones are recommended and please show me on picture where to see them under the hood. Thank you.

Also out of curiousity which oil does everyone put in their A6 2.8 engines? i Just put 5w40 Synthetic it was recommended by Audi dealer nearest to my home.

I am very happy to see that there is alot activity in this forum so i hope to get the help i can get on here, i will be checking often. I am only 19 years old and pretty much don't have much experience but i dont mind the DIY and it oes interest me, all i am saying is i am not mechanic but i will be trying my best, and hopefully one day pass everyone else the knowledge i can get. There is some more stuff that i gotta do but these a are primary before the fun stuff. Thank you. Everyone.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:31 PM
3rd Gear

How do you know that you need a bunch of sensors?

1. Are you sure it is low washer fluid?

2 Brakes - it is always a good idea to do pads and rotors if you get pulsations. Which brake light is on? it could be low fluid, worn pads, ebrake on or anti lock problems.

3. Coil packs -- why change coil packs it there is not a problem?

I will not get involved in either tire or oil choise discussions ---

Get a VagCOM, Bentley repair manual , and find a good shrink!

Old 12-23-2009, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by NH_USA
How do you know that you need a bunch of sensors?

1. Are you sure it is low washer fluid?

2 Brakes - it is always a good idea to do pads and rotors if you get pulsations. Which brake light is on? it could be low fluid, worn pads, ebrake on or anti lock problems.

3. Coil packs -- why change coil packs it there is not a problem?

I will not get involved in either tire or oil choise discussions ---

Get a VagCOM, Bentley repair manual , and find a good shrink!
1. Its blinking and beeping and it shows the washer fluid sign so i understand its the washer fluid.

2. The brake sign its showing is the same one on the brake fluid cap under the hood. Also my mechanic did tell me that my ABS is off and to get in on is going to a PITA. (at first i thought the abs module died for w,e reason, but he said that somebody was already messing around with it before)

3. Coil Packs, because i've read that if performance not doing so good, and you need to heavily put the gas pedal down then it could be because the coil pack should be replaced or spark plugs, but it seems to start fine.

I have one of these EXACT http://www.diydiagnostics.com/Index%...an_scanner.jpg

i want to hook it up and see which codes i will get, the connector from car is on driver side close to where you pop the hood somewhere there? can someone confirm this.

Attached Thumbnails First post - gotta start somewhere-good_vw_can_scanner.jpg  

Last edited by SilverAudiv6; 12-23-2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-23-2009, 11:03 PM
4th Gear
Old 12-23-2009, 11:17 PM
2nd Gear

Your washer sensor is in the bottom of the washer reservoir.

You need 6 spark plugs for a 6 banger 2.8 I use NGK myself, Bosche is also good.

That oil is fine Like NH_USA says everyone has there own opinion on it. I will say I have used mobil one and right now have regular Pennzoil in my 3.0. I was told to use synthetic to keep the passages clean but I had to rebuild the heads apart anyway so what's the point.

Your front brakes are probably worn to low, Check them.

The port for your ecm scanner is located under the dash above the hood latch stick your head in there and you will see it. consider getting a vag-com if you do a search there are guys that have the $20 one from ebay working, I have the ross-tech but it's $200 at www.ross-tech.com

You will need a repair manual for this car. www.bentleypublishers.com or I bought a dvd-rom from www.blauparts.com or www.ecstuning.com
Do your self a big favor and get it.

also for parts I have used www.partsgeek.com, www.worldimpex.com, www.autohausaz.com, www.primepartssuperstore.com

Last but most important if you do not know when the timing belt was changed last you need to have it replaced asap before it snaps. These cars tend to get sold right before the t-belt job needs to be done.

Good luck you are now on your way to becoming a great Audi mechanic.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Thank you Jim, now i am sure that the brake pads should be replaced, i'll do the rotors too. Can someone share with how much you pay for your pads and rotors and which brands you buy? and how much for the labor? because i see on Ebay some deals for all 4 pads and rotors drilled for about 150 CAD.

This reminds can somebody post the Audi A6 C5 manuel in PDF format, i know on the acura site they did, could someone please post it here or show me where i can download it for free thank you.

Last edited by SilverAudiv6; 12-23-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:28 PM
4th Gear

Good luck finding a freebie service manual.. theres one for the A4, but I havent found any for the A6's or A8's...

As for pads/rotors, there's many opinions. I guess it depends on your driving style and what you want out of them..?

Old 12-24-2009, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jackmup
Your washer sensor is in the bottom of the washer reservoir.

You need 6 spark plugs for a 6 banger 2.8 I use NGK myself, Bosche is also good.

That oil is fine Like NH_USA says everyone has there own opinion on it. I will say I have used mobil one and right now have regular Pennzoil in my 3.0. I was told to use synthetic to keep the passages clean but I had to rebuild the heads apart anyway so what's the point.

Your front brakes are probably worn to low, Check them.

The port for your ecm scanner is located under the dash above the hood latch stick your head in there and you will see it. consider getting a vag-com if you do a search there are guys that have the $20 one from ebay working, I have the ross-tech but it's $200 at www.ross-tech.com

You will need a repair manual for this car. www.bentleypublishers.com or I bought a dvd-rom from www.blauparts.com or www.ecstuning.com
Do your self a big favor and get it.

also for parts I have used www.partsgeek.com, www.worldimpex.com, www.autohausaz.com, www.primepartssuperstore.com

Last but most important if you do not know when the timing belt was changed last you need to have it replaced asap before it snaps. These cars tend to get sold right before the t-belt job needs to be done.

Good luck you are now on your way to becoming a great Audi mechanic.
Thanks alot for the info and tips, I have to say that this car has 190,000 KM owner did say it was replaced, but heck knows when, do you think this car would still be running if he didnt replace it? Shouldn't it have been replaced 40,000 KM ago?

Also the scan tool previous owner gave me its no good? anyone by any chance have same one so i can get some instructions on how to properly use it.

Lastly, I remembered one more question i need to know which type of bulbs this car needs one of the bulbs in the head light died it was the regular low beam, (live in canada, but car originally from U.S. so no DRL) Some people have told me its H7 but they are not sure, i know that the high beam is different then the low beam? anyways i'm riding around with high beams so i don't get pulled over but its still uneven cause one of the headlights is putting out more power.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:27 AM
4th Gear

The scan tool is ok for reading the codes, but with a vagcom you can do alot more.. like run specific tests, change shift patterns, reprogram the windows, lights, climate control, etc..

Old 12-24-2009, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
The scan tool is ok for reading the codes, but with a vagcom you can do alot more.. like run specific tests, change shift patterns, reprogram the windows, lights, climate control, etc..
For vagcom dont i need my laptop as well? mine is a mac is compatible?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First post - gotta start somewhere