AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   flashing check engine light (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/flashing-check-engine-light-81468/)

dmayer75 11-13-2007 11:39 AM

flashing check engine light

got in my car this morning and my check engine light started flashing and engine started running very rough after driving a couple of blocks. also have a sulpher smell. i know that i have a bad o2 sensor. does that have anything to do with it? should i drive the car to get the codes read or do i need to have it towed? any help or suggestions would be great. thanks!

formulagigi 11-13-2007 12:12 PM

RE: flashing check engine light

buy a $40 code reader and check yuor code unless someone near you has one or a VAGcom.
The code reader will prove itself vry useful!

Post the code when you get it.
Typically you shouldn't drive your car with a FLASHING CEL.
Although whenI had a bad Coilpack, the light flashed temporarily and then stayed on.. car could be driven. Jst be careful until you know the code and problem

dmayer75 11-13-2007 03:51 PM

the guy at autozone told me that i have a misfire on cylinder 5 and also P0050 HO2S Bank 2 Sen 1. i have to admit that i've known about the O2 sensor for awhile. do i need to replace the sensor in order to fix the misfire? any help would be appreciated. thanks! PS-my car is an 02 3.0L A6 avant

99A6Q 11-14-2007 10:13 AM

sounds like a bad coil on cylinder #5 and you need an o2 sensor.I wouldnt drive the car with the check engine light flashing....the check engine light flashing means that the car is in a catalyst damaging state meaning that you can burn up your catalytic converter if you continue to drive the car as is. I would at least get the misfire fixed ASAP.

JCMAC 11-14-2007 12:33 PM

I agree with 99A6Q get it taken care of as soon as possible. Especially the cyl 5 misfire, it is currently not firing and is letting raw fuel go out through the catalysts andbasically starting to fry them.

formulagigi 11-14-2007 02:03 PM

Misfiring are often due to a bad coil pack on our cars, which is typical and they will all go eventually. If you have a warranty, they are covered. if it is coil pack, no biggy driving to the shop... but since yuo don't know, just get it towed

dmayer75 11-14-2007 06:03 PM

thanks. i have a coil ordered and will put in in tomorrow. hopefully that's all it is.

techbod 11-14-2007 06:20 PM

P0050 = heated O2 sensor 1, bank 2 heater control circuit malfunction--- change the O2 sensor or check the wiring

dmayer75 11-15-2007 02:47 PM

thanks for the advice everyone. replaced igniter coil in cylinder 5 and no more misfire. what would i do without audi forum!?