Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front susp. "clicking", only the first time I brake

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Front susp. "clicking", only the first time I brake

Long and confusing title, but here's the problem. I'm pretty sure it's front suspension related.
Every single time I start the car, whether it's forward or reverse, as soon as I use the brake pedal, I get a loud "click" or "snap" sound from the front end. It does it whether I'm in reverse or drive.
It snaps twice if I'm in reverse.
Once if I'm in drive.
It will NOT make the sound again the entire time I'm driving, regardless of how many times I start and stop.
It does NOT make noise or click over bumpy roads, potholes, speed bumps, etc.
To further try to isolate the occurrence, I drove back and forth in the driveway and it replicated the same thing over and over, all under 2 mph:
Drive: one click
Reverse: 2 clicks
Drivene click
Reverse: 2 clicks.
Evey single time I touch the brakes for the first time, and that's it.
Next I'm going to try to drive, stop, put it in park, put it in drive, stop, put it in park, etc., and see if it still does it every time if I don't go into reverse. I'll try the same in reverse.
In the meantime, anyone have any guesses, especially since it happens only on first application of the brakes in reverse or drive, and NEVER again under any circumstances?
Thanks!
Jeremy