Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Wheel Bearing on Quatro

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 01:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Front Wheel Bearing on Quatro

Hello. First time posting. I have a 99 Avant and my front right wheel has some play in it. It doesn't make any noise. When I had the tires replaced, the guy said it needed wheel bearings.

I pulled the tire off to take a look and there is some play in the hub. I've not seen a configuration like this before. I know the bearings will have to be pressed out and in, but I don't want to pay the dealership the half grand plus they want to do it. So, I guess I'm going to pull the thing off and take it to someone with a press.

So, a couple questions. First, I need a manual for this car. I need some advice on a good manual that covers everything (or most) on the car. I looked before and it appears Haynes or Chiltons doesn't make one. I have found a Bentley manual that looks like it might be pretty good. Any advice would be great.

Two, before I get that, is there any advice on replacing the front wheel bearings? There is a 17-ish mm allen bolt in the center of the hub. CW or CCW to get that off? Once that is off, what is inside there? Is it pretty simple and straight forward or any pitfalls I need to be aware of?

Thanks,

James

Old 10-26-2009, 01:57 PM
3rd Gear

If you don't have any noise, then probably it is most likely the hub itself worn out, and not your bearings.
The bolt comes out CCW - so normal.
The Bently manual, although lacking information in some respects, seems to be the best around as far as repair pointers/instructions.
On my C4 I had to pull the whole strut column out, as the knuckle is part of it. You definitely need a heavy press to get the bearings in, whereas the hub itself can be tapped in after greasing it well. My bearing races (remained "welded" to knuckle's inner race) had to be cut with an oxy-acetylene torch.
It definitely is a job that can be a PITA if you don't have the proper tools.
Good luck.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:29 PM
2nd Gear

"pretty simple and straightforward" is a relative term. How much experience do you have? First, you have to get the knuckle off. The first pitfall here is the upper control arm pinch bolt, which tends to rust into place. Once the knuckle is off, you have to press the hub out, although it can be knocked out with a peice of wood and a hammer. Then, you have to get the old bearing out, which is straightforward for getting a pressed in bearing out of a knuckle. Then, reassembly is pretty much the reverse, except you have to use a press (although with the right big sockets, a piece of wood and a hammer, you can make your own "press).

Good luck,

Bob

Old 10-27-2009, 12:43 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
If you don't have any noise, then probably it is most likely the hub itself worn out, and not your bearings.
The bolt comes out CCW - so normal.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm a little afraid of the hub being worn as well. I've never seen the inside of this thing before so I'm just trying to gather some info before I start.

The Bently manual, although lacking information in some respects, seems to be the best around as far as repair pointers/instructions.
Yeah, that's the manual I saw. Is that the best option out there?

On my C4 I had to pull the whole strut column out, as the knuckle is part of it. You definitely need a heavy press to get the bearings in, whereas the hub itself can be tapped in after greasing it well. My bearing races (remained "welded" to knuckle's inner race) had to be cut with an oxy-acetylene torch.
It definitely is a job that can be a PITA if you don't have the proper tools.
Good luck.
Yeah, I'm kind of expecting it to be a PITA (that's why I got a quote from the dealer ). I'm just going to plan a week or two being down a car. That way I can get it apart, see what's wrong, and order the parts.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:47 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bob martin
"pretty simple and straightforward" is a relative term. How much experience do you have? First, you have to get the knuckle off. The first pitfall here is the upper control arm pinch bolt, which tends to rust into place. Once the knuckle is off, you have to press the hub out, although it can be knocked out with a peice of wood and a hammer. Then, you have to get the old bearing out, which is straightforward for getting a pressed in bearing out of a knuckle. Then, reassembly is pretty much the reverse, except you have to use a press (although with the right big sockets, a piece of wood and a hammer, you can make your own "press).

Good luck,

Bob
Yes, I've made those presses before. But I'll probably take it to a shop with a press instead of messing with it.

Thanks for the valuable info. I'll probably start on it this weekend. I may have some more questions then.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:47 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Rogue321
Yeah, that's the manual I saw. Is that the best option out there?
I do think so.