Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fucking transmission problem 00 A6 Quatrro 4.2L V8 non Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by auditech79
Your either have too much or too little fluid. The tip tranny doesn't do too well with other fluid in it like the Mobil 1 ATF. We experimented wtih that at our dealer and it shifted like crap in all gears. The only fluid that seems to work with our gearboxes are the factory fluid or equal that you can get from www.ecstuning.com, www.purems.com or www.germanpartsonline.com
Well, today I will let it sit for many hours and attempt the refill method. I think it makes sense because I never started the car while filling. I checked the oil again yesterday before I posted my frustrations and nothing came out when I removed the 17mm bolt. I put my long pinky up in there and bent around the filler tube and can touch the fluid. So I thought it is full because I can actually touch it. But according to what the other guy said it is suppose to come out pouring as soon as you remove the cap cause engine sucks up 2-4 quarts when on. and if it was off when I checked, then it is suppose to pour out when I remove the filler bolt, is this correct? Oh and I wont argue with anyone about oil. Mobil 1 synthetic ATF is way better than Pentosin or "original" Audi oil. t shifts smoothly forward. The specs are what you techs need to read. The websites you mentioned have replacement oils as well. The specs are similar to Mobil, but Mobil 1 is cheaper and better properties. I need scientific proof that mobil atf is bad for ZF5HP24-A transmissions, send me a link if you find one. I haven't heard of any damages as a result of mobil 1 atf. I'll keep you posted if the refiill solved my problem tonight

Old 01-26-2009, 10:20 AM
3rd Gear

I tend to believe auditech79, the guys at Force Five, and Audi when it comes to trans fluid. The tip tranny is very sensitive to the type of fluid and all automatic Audis are sensitive to the amount.

Why would someone spend thousands of dollars to repair a trans and then skimp on the ATF???

Old 01-26-2009, 11:24 AM
2nd Gear

He, he

The very old story with the fluid comes back with a vengeance!

Mobil one is NOT approved for 5HP24A !!!

Currently ZF uses Pentozin only (for proofs do search on the forum as there is some ZF correspondence posted).

Rebuilding the TC??? - it's highly unlikely to be successful => the very infamous captive clutch is the culprit and your enemy.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:17 PM
3rd Gear

The particular tranny you guys dispute aboute requires LifeGuardFluid5, which was engineered by...ZF themselves.
So you have the typical situation of "Shampoo with ZF, and then use the ZF conditioner for maximum whatever....."

Pentosin is nowhere mentioned in their Reference Chart, so probably Mobil1 Synt is as...good or detrimental as Pentosin. The reference chart makes Pentosin NOT approved as well for 5HP24A...

Old 01-26-2009, 01:19 PM
2nd Gear

Again for those that have difficulties understanding the German engineering:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The lifetime of the transmission is not exactly defined and each car manufacturer has his own philosophy therefor. The ZF transmissions are developed and tested to overcome lifetime without oil change under normal driving conditions. In our latest version ZF list of lubricants TE-ML 11 we mention that in case of running a car / transmission under severe conditions (highway driving in top speed range, offensive sporty driving style, frequent trailer operation) an oil change between 80.000 - 120.000km is recommended.

Under the Audi Oil no. G 052162 A2 and G 052162 A1 you will get the same fluid. The difference between A2 and A1 is only the amount of fluid / size of the can (A1-> 0,5 liter, A2 -> 1 liter).

Up to 2005 we have used the Esso LT 71141 as factory fill fluid and as service fluid (ZF Lifeguardfluid5). From 2006 on we have changed to Pentosin ATF 1. Both fluids are approved for use in the ZF 5HPxx transmissions.

I hope the mystery arround the ZF transmissions is get a bit clearer for you.

If you have additional questions therefor please do not hesitate to contact me.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind regards
Martin Vogel
Schmierstoffe und Polymere (TW-L)/Lubricants and Polymers (TW-L)

ZF Friedrichshafen AG
88038 Friedrichshafen, Deutschland/Germany
Telefon/Phone +49 7541 77-7181, Telefax/Fax +49 7541 77-907181
martin.vogel@zf.com

Old 01-26-2009, 01:22 PM
2nd Gear

BTW

I'd like to ask the moderator of the site if this kind of language as the one used for the post title is suitable for this forum???

Old 01-26-2009, 02:11 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by nemohm
Again for those that have difficulties understanding the German engineering:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope the mystery arround the ZF transmissions is get a bit clearer for you.

If you have additional questions therefor please do not hesitate to contact me.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind regards
Martin Vogel
Schmierstoffe und Polymere (TW-L)/Lubricants and Polymers (TW-L)

ZF Friedrichshafen AG
88038 Friedrichshafen, Deutschland/Germany
Telefon/Phone +49 7541 77-7181, Telefax/Fax +49 7541 77-907181
martin.vogel@zf.com
Again, there's no mystery....
If you are a ZF representant, then maybe is a wonderful idea to contact your superiors in charge of overseeing/updating the website, and publish an UPDATED chart INCLUSIVE of SIMILAR or APPROVED lubricants.
Or you can update that REFERENCE CHART yourself, if you are a ZF superior authority...

I hope I made myself as clear as you made yourself; no disrespect intended, Martin...

Old 01-26-2009, 07:16 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Site_Administrator
... Mobil 1 synthetic ATF is way better than Pentosin or "original" Audi oil. t shifts smoothly forward. ...
I guess you know better than the manufacturer of the car/transmission. However, I would suggest that you drain the Mobil 1 ATF, which has not been approved for an Audi Tip since 1995, and replace it with an ATF that is approved for your transmission. Either way, best of luck.

Last edited by Kevin; 01-26-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Default YEEEEAAAAA Fu...Kin ey! PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!! Thank YOU

I took my kid to school this morning with the tranny acting up along the way making those slow turns it would feel like it's stuck on second or first and wont go into neutral when craw, anyway, I already explained the symptoms a dozen times and in different catagories on this forum. The user named "Zippy_gg" that suggested I correctly fill the tranny and gave me a link to audipages was the one responsible for my overwhelming joy tonight. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy life to spend a few seconds and give your opinion and input. Thank you all too! I read every detail. I am very greatful even if your idea sucks. Keep posting often. I like to post too because you never know. There are people that come in here all the time and just look and take but never give. Thank you again Zippy gg! Your input solved my problem!. I went home and let the car sit with two house fans blowing into the engine compartment. After many hours, I went back to my garage at 2pm. Engine was cold. It was 77 degrees outside Tampa, Fl
I lift the car on four jackstands and went to work. When I unscrewed the 17MM filler bolt off, nothing came out, but I can feel the fluid hanging around the lip just about to come out.I dropped the pan just to double check my filter and magnets. They look brand new still. Fluid was bright red still. Put all those little bolts back and repumped the new(used) fluid back in. It took forever to screw in all those little bolts. I then grabbed my pump from walmart and grabbed 4 quarts extra of MOBIL 1 FULLY SYNTHETIC ATF, and began pumping(with car off) and fluid came out immediately after one pump. So I went up and started the car and went back down before that freaking catalytic converter gets hot. I pumped and pumped and pumped! That son of a bitch sucked up 3 and a half extra QUARTS before it started overflowing again. I did the gear shifting stuff and kept checking the level, and it was still full. so capped it up and dropped the car. Today I drove to Lakeland for a test. That son of a bitch shifts beautiful! Like a new car! So soft and with power! I felt so happy It was that. I wish I can kiss you but I am not a homo and you are too far. By the way , the person that said " all those thousands of dollars just to put in a cheap atf" I didn't spend thousands of dollars, I just dropped it myself, bought original ZF rebuild kit from Transtar industries in Sarasota, and it only cost me $600 total to rebuild converter and get the steels and Clutch frictions and all. Alot of work, but cheap original parts.

I am not going to argue with you people about OIL. Mobil 1 ATF is compatible with all the audi part oils you guys mentioned. Keep buying that German oil and listening to Audi Dealers and retailers fixing your car. There is nothing sensative about what I saw in the ZF. Rubber seals, metal parts, solenoids, steel plates, frictions, clutch pistons bearrings, it looks like any other american transmission in the inside. I actually thought it was easier to rebuild than a Ford. I don't see see how a trans mission can be so sensative and get it's feelings hurt and act up if I put Mobil instead of Audi "original" oil. This is not a scientific explanation...."Those transmissions are sensative"
If it ever breaks down with mobil one , I'll let you know and photograph what I find. I'll be the ZF5hp24a Ginny Pig for you wussies drinking the Pentosin Koolaid.

But for now it down shifted so smoothly and beautifully. Man, I'm so happy. I was gonna throw this gocart off the skyway bridge tonight.

Last edited by Site_Administrator; 01-26-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Site Moderator

Did you use the vag com to monitor the trans temp when filling it? I would imagine it was around the correct temp when it came pouring out, when its cold it won't come out of the hole with the same amount of fluid in it. Thats why they recommend the correct fluid, mainly because of filling the trans. Other fluids expand at different temps so it still might not be at the exact fill ratio, but as long as its shifting good, what the hell.....

Quick Reply: Fucking transmission problem 00 A6 Quatrro 4.2L V8 non Turbo