Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future 2.7t owner with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:12 PM
1st Gear
Default Future 2.7t owner with some questions

I hope I'm not an annoying newbie after seeing that other thread.

Well I'm looking to replace my 00 Avalon with a nice 00-04 A6 2.7t to enjoy the additional power and AWD. I've looked at a few but both had higher mile or were lacking of a automatic. Yes I know how lame but it would be my daily driver and I have a Porshce 951 as a weekend toy. I'm looking to spend less than $15k for the car, as I understand these cars yield some nice power from mild mods. I know of the problem areas with this car/engine but any insight helps from 2.7T owners.

Questions: (I'm sure I'll have more)
1)When looking at cars online is there a way to tell a a6 has HID by looking at the headlamps?
2)I see the 02+ model year 2.7ts have "s" modes, does this make a noticeable performance difference?
3)was ESP standard or an option on 2.7Ts?
4)Is the optional NAV system worth looking for?

A bit about me:
I've been around Porsche for about 3 years. Member or PCA and rennlist. Used to have a 944 now have a modified 951. Think about a A6 to be "all in the family". Also had two BMWs, a 86 528e and still have a 98 740iL. My toyota is getting a little boring and FWD is horrible for my driving style.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:30 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Future 2.7t owner with some questions

ORIGINAL: Keithr726

Questions: (I'm sure I'll have more)
1)When looking at cars online is there a way to tell a a6 has HID by looking at the headlamps?
2)I see the 02+ model year 2.7ts have "s" modes, does this make a noticeable performance difference?
3)was ESP standard or an option on 2.7Ts?
4)Is the optional NAV system worth looking for?
1. If the picture is close then yes....from straight on the HID lamps look like a glass ball - perhaps a little bluish in color. The fog lamps are standard halogen however.

2. The "S" does affect shifting and there is a slight increase in performance due to the transmission staying in the power band longer, however I would guess if you ran 1/4 mile times and 0-60 times the difference would be marginal at best....perhaps not even noticable.

3. I believe it was standard....I don't recall ever seeing one without it.

4. Opinions vary. I would argue no since the maps will be somewhat outdated and it could be cost prohibitive to get the newest ones. Besides, you can find the imported NAV systems on eBay from time to time if you really must have one.

Now some questions for you.....what part of the country are you located in, and what mileage A6s are you looking at? If you want to spend less than $15k you might have to stick to the older models in that age range and/or higher mileage, but if you have your heart set on a turbo car I would lean towards something in the 03 or 04 range with 50-70k miles. Bear in mind that your timing belt will need to be changed around 90-100k (some suggest even sooner), and that will probably cost you around $1000-1200 - so factor that into your budget when pricing.

I bought my 03 2.7T A6 last summer with just over 60k on the clock and it was about $15,500. I have since tossed a little money at it ($1000) on routine stuff and spend another $500 on new winter rubber.....but all things considered I think I got a fantastic deal. If you keep your eyes open you should be able to find what you are looking for without too much trouble.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:47 PM
1st Gear

You will absolutely love the 2.7t in comparison to an Avalon!! According to the sticker on my 04 2.7T SLine, ESP is a standard feature. The forum is very informative when it comes to common problems.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:35 PM
3rd Gear

The best mod for value is chipping the ECU: APR, GIAC, and others. Probably about $600-1000 total and bumps the hp from 250 to 318. Also removes the electronic speed limitation of 133 mph.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a built-in navigation unit. Buy a portable unit that you can move between cars. They're getting down to the $200 price point these days. I'm even almost ready to buy one. I could have bought on as an option for my Crossfire, but $1400 seemed a little ridiculous.

There have been a few heated debates on the forum regarding the "stock" 2.7T vs the S-line. It'a a matter of taste and how much you like the trim level. I think the S-line is rated at 265hp as delivered and is only available with an automatic.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:21 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Guys! That helps! I know about the timing belts at 80k its close to the same as my avalon's 90k. Luckily BMW has a chain but the 951 make up for it requiring replacement every 30K to be safe! I've also heard about the short turbo life but it sounds like they last longer in automatic cars. I've also heard (and could use more info) on problem regarding quattro on A6s? The only mods i'd want to do are chips and these "piggy pipes".

I'm located in the Napa Valley, in CA if you didn't know where it was

I know my price range is a bit harsh for what I want. I'd prefer <80k and hope the belt be done or price adjusted accordingly. Also like light interiors for my DD but will make exceptions. It seems like 03-04 models in this area go for quite a bit more. Its just hard because there isn't much to choose from an nothing really sticks out.

2002 75k miles $11.5k sounds great but need to find out about belts
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/586489098.html

2001 only 54k miles, $11k (theres also a 00 with 54k miles going for $13)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/car/581857376.html

This one I don't understand, looks like two cup holders and no ESP off button?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/586431697.html

03 79k, $14 with shades and sport package
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...amp;cardist=57

00 80k only $9,000
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...amp;cardist=72

Old 03-06-2008, 11:54 PM
1st Gear

So I found this one here in my town and went to take a look at it.

2001 blk/blk 89k asking $13, said they'd let it go for $11k. I'm thinking I can still get less as that still seems a bit much for this year/mileage as there is another 01 in town with 100k for $8.7k.

Some of the options I noticed...doesn't match up to any of the packages.
-projector lights so I'm guessing xenon
-bose stereo speakers
-sport seats
it still has factory manual and unopened VHS

PROBLEMS
-damned LED gauge panel is dark around the edges. (that bba reman option doesnt sound too bad)
-latch for center armrest is starting to break, is this a standard VW/audi part?
-missing a piece of the windshield washer stalk

What do you guys think about this one? I like blk/blk and it beats a 1-2hour drive.

http://www.dealerfusion.com/search.a...toryno=1315373

Old 03-07-2008, 12:10 AM
3rd Gear

FYI, all of 2001 A6s were projector style housing, but some were regular halogen bulbs, like mine. I am not sure when they all went to HID/Xenon.
One feature that I didn't care for, but now can't live without is the winter package. It comes with heated seats for all four seats, and heat lamp washers. I recommend tha t you find one with it.

Good luck.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:45 AM
2nd Gear

Welcome!
You'll have fun but don't let a low price drive your selection, these cars are really expense to maintain and repair. Make sure you get repair and maintenance history, get a PPI done by an Audi expert at an Indy shop, drive car wihtout radio on at various speeds on different roads, listen for any abnormal noises...
As for mods, Chip ($600) and Piggies (~$350) are real big bang for the buck and will get you probbaly to 330-340hp and right around 400lbs TQ. But get the DVs and TBB upgraded too. I would also throw in intake spacers like NewSouth's Powergaskets ($70) or VAST's, H Sport Sways, and Goodridge SS brake lines.
I used to have an 86 911 targa and was a PCA member.. miss my Porsche!

Old 03-07-2008, 10:27 PM
1st Gear

I'll toss in my 0.02 as well

1) You can't tell from the outside of the car with the lights off. The easiest way I know of it to pop the hood and look at the back of the headlights. The HID cars will have a single thick black wire with a red band around it where it goes into the light, the standard one (if I remember correctly) has a standard wiring loom. The red band was to signify "don't play with me when I'm on 'cause I'll give you a whallop you're not going to forget soon". If it's nighttime, when you flip the lights on, they'll be a deep, deep blue for the first 3 seconds or so, then gradually (10 seconds or so) come to a strong white.

2) I can't comment on the S-line in particular. The 00-02's had a sport package available, which gave you stiffer anti-roll bars, stiffer shocks, 1" drop, and seats with fat side bolsters. They're identifiable by either the seats (having a nice fat side bolsters) and/or the shocks (they're red, not black).

3) I'm echoing what someone else said....ESP was standard from 00 on.

4) I have the NAV system. The original flavor, the C-Navi. If the car has it, great, but don't pay extra for it. The modern-day portables are far better in a lot of ways. Sure, it's nice to have sitting there right in the instrument cluster, but the last map update was in 2003, and there will be no further updates. There are lots of replacement stereo/navi systems floating around, so if you want integrated nav, the RNS-E system is a hell of a lot better then C-nav or D-nav and will run you just shy of a grand.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:19 PM
1st Gear

Sorryfor hi-jacking the thread.....But I was wondering if ESP was standard for 00 on up. The reason I say this is because I have a 2000 2.7t 6M and where everyone else has the ESP button by the hazzards I just have a coin tray. Also we got some snow a few days ago and when I got the car sideways there was no indication on the dash or in the feel of the car that anything was being done to correct this.

Quick Reply: Future 2.7t owner with some questions