AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Gas odor (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/gas-odor-120324/)

Rhino85 12-11-2008 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by oc_audica (Post 1006675)
Whats the going rate for a new tank installed? ~not at the dealer of course

$1500 to drop old tank for quattro
$900 for new tank
plus small parts

Just got this done...cracked fuel tank is what they told me. Took about 3 weeks because they had to order the new tank. We were able to catch it because the check engine light came on for an evap leak. I only have about 74K miles. I was told by a friend if they don't install the recall on the roll over valve nipple right, it can cause this to happen.

Hmmm, then the question would be:

in case of no odor complains - should one voluntarily undertake the recall-procedure or wait till some problems appear?
(my personal experience shows that preventive maintenance has to be done very wisely).

For how long are the recalls good for?

The warning from the recall letter is that failure of the rollover valve could cause a fire.
How serious a fire hazard would be?
Fire related to something with the gas tank, I would say pretty serious.

railrunner 12-11-2008 12:51 PM

I have the 2003, 4.2 quattro and had the same leak. had to replace. cannot believe it won't cover 4.2s.

auditech79 12-11-2008 09:25 PM

I would say the fire hazard is nominal, the recall for the headlight rewiring behind the drivers side dash has a higher fire hazard than this leak. Unless you can manage to occomplish a 4 wheel burn out on dry pavement and throw some hot rubber on top of the tank its not gonna catch fire.

oc_audica 12-11-2008 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by auditech79 (Post 1007041)
I would say the fire hazard is nominal, the recall for the headlight rewiring behind the drivers side dash has a higher fire hazard than this leak. Unless you can manage to occomplish a 4 wheel burn out on dry pavement and throw some hot rubber on top of the tank its not gonna catch fire.

If you fill up then let the car sit a day or so, a small puddle could gather... that scared me once...

I get so scared when people throw their cig butts out the window in front of me :eek:

I certainly can't afford fixing this. I wonder how much the dealer charges for their "fix"

Rhino85 12-12-2008 02:38 PM

I luckily had an extended warranty that was able to cover it.

auditech79 12-12-2008 09:08 PM

Well if you want to know a quick bandaid fix then do this. Buy some clear silicone sealant.
Get under the car and loosen one of the bolts on both straps holding the gas tank up, this will make it sit on the rear axle. Then pull up the rear bench seat, and un-bolt the two access panels. Locate the two evap lines and try to seal the leak with the clear silicone. Thats what some techs did at the dealer before the recall came out, i call them hackers, but it should work for you guys for a while.

oc_audica 12-14-2008 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by auditech79 (Post 1007555)
Well if you want to know a quick bandaid fix then do this. Buy some clear silicone sealant.
Get under the car and loosen one of the bolts on both straps holding the gas tank up, this will make it sit on the rear axle. Then pull up the rear bench seat, and un-bolt the two access panels. Locate the two evap lines and try to seal the leak with the clear silicone. Thats what some techs did at the dealer before the recall came out, i call them hackers, but it should work for you guys for a while.

thank you very much for this... if it doesn't work I'll be trading in early next year :cool:

beefski 12-18-2008 03:53 PM

I have a 96 A6 avant that has a gas smell only when the tank is half full or more. Not sure if the same problem applies. Any ideas on a McGiver fix as I can not afford a new tank. Could it be where the filler neck meets the tank. Sux not being able to fill the tank.

oc_audica 12-18-2008 04:58 PM

read the thread beefski

beefski 12-19-2008 09:10 AM

I did read the thread oc, these problems & fixes are for newer models than mine. I have pulled the rear seat and did not see anything that looked like an access panel. I do not want to just randomly start taking things apart. Secondly, since you did not start this thread who are you to coment on my question. Since auditech is the starter of this thread if he has a problem with my question it should be up to him to say not you.