Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ghost acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 01:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Ghost acceleration

Hi,

Have car booked in for a diagnosis on Monday but in the meantime can anyway offer opinion as to cause of a problem with my Audi A6' 55 plate 2.4 multitronic s line.

Basically yesterday the car started accelerating without pressure on the pedal and the only way to truly stop acceleration is for me to hook my foot under the pedal and pull it back. Braking does of course slow the car down but when I take my foot off the brake acceleration begins again. When I am stopped with foot on the brake the car is trying to jump forward.

Even when in neutral and, today, park mode the rev counter is showing 4000 or so. I fear engine damage if I drive it too much.

Any comments gratefully received

Regards

David

Old 05-16-2014, 08:08 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by davidsedgley
Hi,

Have car booked in for a diagnosis on Monday but in the meantime can anyway offer opinion as to cause of a problem with my Audi A6' 55 plate 2.4 multitronic s line.

Basically yesterday the car started accelerating without pressure on the pedal and the only way to truly stop acceleration is for me to hook my foot under the pedal and pull it back. Braking does of course slow the car down but when I take my foot off the brake acceleration begins again. When I am stopped with foot on the brake the car is trying to jump forward.

Even when in neutral and, today, park mode the rev counter is showing 4000 or so. I fear engine damage if I drive it too much.

Any comments gratefully received

Regards

David

I had exactly the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. 1.8t slush box, cruising down the road about 40 mph and the thing just took off as if I floored it. I hit the brakes and it slowed and then returned to normal. It has not happened since. Very odd feeling because I am sure I was not pushing on the gas. I ran VAG and got no codes and there are no other indications of problems. Strange. Let us know if you find anything and I will do the same.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:02 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply H. I think it was a sticking pedal as when i took my foot off the car did not decelerate. Having said that took it for diagnosis, loads of error codes but garage cleared them and the problem disappeared and car has been fine for the last week. Long may it continue! DS