AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Great Deal? Bad Deal? Good Deal? Fair Deal? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/great-deal-bad-deal-good-deal-fair-deal-106743/)

wammy18 07-02-2008 03:55 PM

Great Deal? Bad Deal? Good Deal? Fair Deal?

Hey guys,

I just got back from the audi store in my list of questions I save up for my tech :). I found out about the smoke in my engine is coming from the turbo side but it is a cam leak. Which is going to be fixed when I replace the cams. I called my audi tech out on him doing a timing belt change in 2-3 hours easily (with walking around the shop messing around). He gave me a quote for replacing the cams, timing belt and fueling for 10-12 hours... I have heard that the timing belt change is around 14 hours or something and I was wondering if I am getting a heck of a deal doing the timing belt/cams for 1k. I have heard numbers way above this for just a timing belt change.. Please let me know if I should pull the trigger on this or if I should shop around a little bit. Thanks for the help guys been a lonnnnnnnng day :p

Sam

99A6Q 07-02-2008 04:05 PM

RE: Great Deal? Bad Deal? Good Deal? Fair Deal?

You basically answered your own question. You have seen a lot higher numbers for timing belt jobs meaning this is a good deal. The big question though is he also changine the water pump, thermostat and the timing belt tensioners. If not, I would have that added to the list of things he is doing.

wammy18 07-02-2008 04:11 PM

Oh that is included within the job of the timing belt that we talked about. Sorry for the lack of detail... Def am going to do the full kit. The reason I asked is because I wanna see if people have done better or if I should shut up and do it haha

Thansk for the quick post :P

wammy18 07-02-2008 05:00 PM

Also I was wondering about the high end performance difference that you might notice with the switch to rs4 cams or if there is another option for our car... Thank you

ppgoal 07-02-2008 05:24 PM

I was charged, and told the book rate, was six (6) hours for my timing belt change. It was the full kit.

wammy18 07-02-2008 07:50 PM

What I was thinking... He said 5-6 for the full timing kit, 2-3 for the cams and half an hour-hour for the fueling. Why I don't know if I am getting a good deal, fair deal or could get better :p

bob martin 07-03-2008 07:08 AM

Fair deal. Go for it. Be happy!

Bob

wammy18 07-03-2008 07:21 AM

thx bob I think I am going to pull the trigger shortly on that :p ohh and has anybody used the RS4 cams in the car? Let me know how it went or if you used different cams let me know.. Thanks guys again