Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head light problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:14 AM
1st Gear
Angry head light problem!!

my 1998 audi a6 quattro 2.8 drivers side headlight is iut.
i replaced both sides with new bulbs but the drivers side still doesnt work.
i would check the fuses but i dont know what number or color of what fuse to check.
if you guys have an idead on how to go about this problem please let me know.
if its not a fuse, do you think i need new wiring done?

Old 08-27-2012, 11:09 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by OCTO12
i would check the fuses but i dont know what number or color of what fuse to check.
You don't have the fuse chart/diagram on the back of the panel?

(#20 low-beam, right -- #21 low-beam, left)

if you guys have an idead on how to go about this problem please let me know.
if its not a fuse, do you think i need new wiring done?
Parking light, indicators all work? It's just the low-beam bulb that's out on the drivers side, correct?

If yes, then check the fuse first. If it checks out fine, then it's possible there's an issue with the wiring that connects to the back of the bulb.

How did the connectors going into the back of the headlight look when you changed them (Burnt, melted, exposed.. cut)?

Old 08-28-2012, 09:24 AM
1st Gear

yes, just the drivers side bulb does not work and i just replaced it. the thing is that the turning signal works perfextly on the drivers side. also the pannel did not have a chart it just has an allen key cliped to it. the wiring didnt look bad it look the same as the passanger side bulb wire.
if its the wiring is that going to be alot of work to replace? im new to audi and so far most mechanics barley want to touch an audi for some reason.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:01 AM
1st Gear

yes, just the drivers side bulb does not work and i just replaced it. the thing is that the turning signal works perfextly on the drivers side. also the pannel did not have a chart it just has an allen key cliped to it. the wiring didnt look bad it look the same as the passanger side bulb wire.
if its the wiring is that going to be alot of work to replace? im new to audi and so far most mechanics barley want to touch an audi for some reason.
Depends on where the issue is located honestly. There's wiring within the headlight itself and then the headlight assembly connects to a plug/harness.

If you parking lights, turn signal and high-beams work, then I'd assume it's a problem with the connector that plugs into the back of the bulb, or the ground wire.

I don't think it should be too difficult since you can remove the headlight from the car if need be and work on it inside.

But, check the fuse first. Then try go through the process again and see if something wasn't seated right, or some corrosion on the connector possibly.