Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:23 AM
1st Gear
Default headlight question

my 2003 3.0 quattro didn't come equipped with HID's... i was wondering if i bought headlights that came with HID's with the ballasts and bulbs working, would it be plug and play for my model??? just thought i'd ask before buying an HID kit because my headlights are fading so i figured buying OEM HID equipped lights would be better... thanks guys!

Old 01-20-2009, 03:55 AM
3rd Gear

Before spending a bunch of Benjamins, take a look at this article.
If you decide to do so, then you can purchase the Silvania Silverstar... $ 19.99/bulb at AutoZone, MadeInChinaMart, etc.
They have as much brightness and "sweeping angle" as the expensive HID's.
And get this: they are "plug and play", you don't need to perform any modification, and risk screwing up something.
I have them in both my cars, and I vouch that are as mean as the HID's.
But, hey, go with the fashion trend (a.k.a. HID) if you want to.

good luck to ya.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:10 AM
1st Gear

i had the sylvania silverstars in my lncer evolution and i wasn't impressed at all... it was dfinately an improvement though... but when i lined it up next to my buddies evo who had an hid kit, the difference was night and day... theres nothing faddish or fashion trendy about it.. you're definately getting your moneys worth with the hid kit... and i've had them on every car i've owned (and my motorcycle)... thanks for the lens clean up write up though!

Old 01-20-2009, 12:41 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by helitech
i had the sylvania silverstars in my lncer evolution and i wasn't impressed at all... it was dfinately an improvement though... but when i lined it up next to my buddies evo who had an hid kit, the difference was night and day...
If the difference is for you as "night and day", and you cannot see better with the Silverstars than with regular halogens, then you should definitely get HID.
Probably the car will finally look as good in a line up as your buddy's car.
good luck

Old 01-20-2009, 01:35 PM
2nd Gear

silverstars don't do much if you have projectors.

OEM HID FTW... new sets go for about $800... used for $400-500

DO NOT get the cheap chinese ebay ones... only buy HELLA headlights if you want the entire assembly.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:32 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by helitech
my 2003 3.0 quattro didn't come equipped with HID's... i was wondering if i bought headlights that came with HID's with the ballasts and bulbs working, would it be plug and play for my model??? just thought i'd ask before buying an HID kit because my headlights are fading so i figured buying OEM HID equipped lights would be better... thanks guys!
You cannot buy a oem HID system with modifiction. What you need is a aftermarket HID kit that will fit onto your existing sockets.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:56 PM
2nd Gear

If you buy oem hella Xenon complete headlights, then it is just plug and play.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:51 PM
1st Gear

thanks OC thats all i needed to know!

Old 01-20-2009, 04:54 PM
1st Gear
Wink

Originally Posted by chefro
If the difference is for you as "night and day", and you cannot see better with the Silverstars than with regular halogens, then you should definitely get HID.
Probably the car will finally look as good in a line up as your buddy's car.
good luck
look i understand you like silverstars, but the fact of the matter is they do not have as much light output as HID kits or OEM HID fitted housings... my cars ALWAYS looked good in the line up but thanks for the attempt at a low blow cheapshot comment... i was only referring to the light comparison... a lancer evolution which was daily driven putting down 403 horses to the floor on pump gas cant possibly look bad

Old 01-20-2009, 05:25 PM
3rd Gear

oc_audica:

It is not just plug and play if you buy oem hid fixtures. His car will not have the headlight level sensors in the control arms. If you want the auto level to work you will have a small project on your hands.

Quick Reply: headlight question