Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help diagnosing oil leaks (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Help diagnosing oil leaks (pics)

While changing my oil,I took these pics to see if anyone can give me any info regarding the cause or cure for these leaks. The car does not leak enough oil to necessitate "topping off" between oil changes, but if anyone can tell from looking at the pictures what the culprit(s) is(are), and what if anything needs to or should be done, I'd appreciate the help!
In the first 2 pics, both of the tubes going into/out of the rear of the oil pan on both the drivers and pass. side appear to be leaking at the pan and have oil buildup on them. It's definitely coming from the bottom, not the top, as the buildup disappears as you follow the tube up into the bay.
Drivers side, rear or oil pan:

Pass. side, rear of oil pan:

This is looking at what I believe is tubing to the bottom of the intercooler. This is the passengers side, looking towards the drivers side. You can see oil collected on the bottom of the tube.

This is a picture of the bracket right between the oil pan and that intercooler hose, still on the passenger side:

This is a pic of the oil pan, from the rear passengers side. Note the oil on the pan and the tubes running behind it.

This is a pic of the driver's side intercooler hose. Not as bad, but a light coating of oil, more on the metal tube than the rubber hose:

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Jeremy

Old 07-29-2009, 06:37 PM
2nd Gear

Cam seals, cam tensioner seals and valve cover gaskets. Common problems.

While you are there, take your lower intake hoses off (the ones in your pictures. Lots of oil will run out! Don't panic as this is by design. The hoses are the low point in the intake system and any oil and/or dirt will tend to collect there. A bit of oil helps catch any dirt sneaking past the air filter.

Bob

Old 07-29-2009, 06:43 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Bob. I actually went back out and took another look and did indeed see deposits on the bottom edges of the valve covers, which I didn't see when I first looked around the top and front edges. The cam tensioners are also caked with oil, so their gaskets are probably gone too?
I had the TB done about 20K ago, so those cam seals should be good, right? I've heard it could be the cam plugs in the back though? Any info on the cam plugs and/or if they're a DIY? I can't seem to find any info on that...
thanks again!

Old 07-29-2009, 08:22 PM
3rd Gear

TB job is usually related to the front cam seals. And that is only if the mechanic changed the front cam seals. Many times than not, mechanics don't replace front cam seals unless specifically requested. Anyways, the rear ones can be replaced without removing the timing belt.