Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed!! 2001 Audi A6 2.7T and the dealer just slapped a $6,900 repair estimate

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Angry Help needed!! 2001 Audi A6 2.7T and the dealer just slapped a $6,900 repair estimate

I have a Audi A6 2.7T 2001. Recently the Brake lights and Battery light went on. And after reading the manual, it was recommended that we seek expert opinion. We went to a dealership in downtown Chicago and they performed a diagnostic check. And came up with a mind-boggling number of repairs to be done. What I would like to know as an answer are -

I will put across a list of repairs and the prices they have provided. And would like your advise on what is a fair price. And what should my talking points be against each of the listed items [what I can compromise on i.e. take non-OEM parts]. Is it advisable to go to an independent Audi mechanic/technician to get these repairs? And can you recommend me one close to Chicago downtown who can get this done well and have a great reputation to service Audis?

Optional Information:
Year: 2001
Make: Audi
Model: A6
Engine: 2.7T

Already Tried:
I have gone to a dealership for an initial diagnostic and they have given me a list of repairs to be done.

1. Replacement of Alternator. Labor $725. Parts - $790
2. Replacement of Battery. Labor $145. Parts - $145
3. Transmission output seal. Labor $507. Parts - $76
4. Timing Belt. Labor - $1232. Parts - $909
5. Replacement of Left front outer tie Rod. Labor $220. Parts - $114. Alignment - $199.95
6. Replacement of headlight washer pump. Labor - $290. Parts - $95
7. Power Steering Fluid flush - $195
8. Coolant Flush - $195
9. Fuel Injection Service - $209
10. Brake Fluid Flush - $189.95
11. Minor Service (Oil change, brake inspection, chassis lubrication, top off all fluid reservoirs) - $275.

The items above don't include tax and shop supplies. Taxes are applied to parts only and shop supplies are a percentage of the total and top out at $25 per repair.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:39 PM
2nd Gear

It is a rip off and you should definitely take your car to an Indy shop specialized in Audi. They charge less per hour to start with.
I paid under $900 for my alternator three months ago and that included the require coolant flush. So he is charging you way too much for the alternator and the labor which should include a coolant change anyway then charges you an arm and a leg for the coolant change. The battery labor is outrageous, do it yourself. Then he wants to charge you $2100 for the TB service and 275 for oil and miscellaneous???? I paid 1500 for the whole Service TB, WP, oil, all filters, injection system.... And a tire!!! Some people here have paid 700-900$ for the TB job.
Forget about the headlight washers for now.
Avoid this stealership and have someone here recommend a local Indy
Good luck.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:32 PM
1st Gear

100% agree with Gigi, outrageous gouging, I mean 145 labor to pull 2 battery connections, this dealer has you pegged as a schmuck, take it to an Indy Audi mech

Old 07-08-2009, 11:40 PM
2nd Gear
Exclamation

Just get the battery and the alternator check at Autozone or similar.
You did not indicate the mileage on your 2001, nor if the previous owner (if you are not the original owner) ever replaced the timing belt (at around 80k miles, and every 80k miles thereafter). The timing belt is your only critical maintenance.
As far as the brake lights, it just may be due to worn out pads and/or low brake fluid.
Are you mechanically inclined? If so you will soon realize that much of the maintenance can be performed by a home mechanic (meaning you) and save you a lot of money.
By all means stay away from that crooked dealer and never look back!

Old 07-08-2009, 11:43 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by nickos
IAlready Tried:
I have gone to a dealership for an initial diagnostic and they have given me a list of repairs to be done.

1. Replacement of Alternator. Labor $725. Parts - $790
2. Replacement of Battery. Labor $145. Parts - $145
3. Transmission output seal. Labor $507. Parts - $76
4. Timing Belt. Labor - $1232. Parts - $909
5. Replacement of Left front outer tie Rod. Labor $220. Parts - $114. Alignment - $199.95
6. Replacement of headlight washer pump. Labor - $290. Parts - $95
7. Power Steering Fluid flush - $195
8. Coolant Flush - $195
9. Fuel Injection Service - $209
10. Brake Fluid Flush - $189.95
11. Minor Service (Oil change, brake inspection, chassis lubrication, top off all fluid reservoirs) - $275.

The items above don't include tax and shop supplies. Taxes are applied to parts only and shop supplies are a percentage of the total and top out at $25 per repair.
καληνύχτα, Nickos

As the gentlemen ahead of me said it, this is a big rip-off and those people are a bunch of malakas looking to suck up easy money.

1.Alternator - Bosch Remanufactured - $ 248 after getting the core charge

2. Battery - you can purchase a battery from AutoZone - Duralast for around $ 80. You don't need fancy brand, you don't need an "oem" one. It wouldn't cost you anything to swap it yourself

3. Transmission seal - that may be a problem to do it yourself, but the price for the part is outrageous.

4. JHMotorsports has for the 2.7 engine a $ 30 Timing Belt Replacement VIDEO you can purchase. Get the parts from a place such as ArizonaAutohaus, ECSTuning, JHMotorsports, Blaufernungen, etc and do it yourself...or go to an indie shop as the guys said it. Make a list with the parts price and show it to the people where you'll take the car to. If they want your business, they have to match the prices. Remember, it is your car and you don't depend on that particular Audi dealer.

5. Tie rod - you can buy the original style for $ 17; or get the Meyle updated metal version for $ 46.15. As far as labor charges, they must be having a hell of a hourly rate. The Alignment charge would be consistent to most tire shops for a 4-wheel alignment. Guess you have to cough up more money if you live in the city...

6. You can drive the car without headlight washers...at least for a while. Look up the pump price and install it yourself.

7. Power steering flush - buy yourself a siphoning pump and replace the fluid gradually. Take some out of the reservoir and replace. After three four switches like that you'll have again pretty clean fluid.

8. Coolant flush - I agree also that $ 195 for a flush is just ridiculous. It will probably cost you around $ 60 to buy enough coolant from Blau; or go with the $ 21 gallon VW coolant from ECS Tuning. 2 gallons will be PLENTY - you'll have close to 16 L of 50-50 mixture.
You only need to find the radiator drain and open it; and then the block engine drain plug. Pour water several times through the system or go fancy with a mild solvent, then just replace the coolant and bleed the system.

9.Fuel Injection service is another sham - unless they recaliber your injectors, which I highly doubt. They will hook up the fuel rail to a system they have and run a cleaner through it.

The Liqui Moly Jectron will accomplish the same thing for $ 6.86 with 300 ml.

10. If you never changed or bled brakes, you can do the same thing as per the power steering fluid. Just replace it gradually out of the reservoir.
If your brakes are not fading, then your present fluid still has consistency, so you don't really need a flush.

11. That "minor service" is another "minor rip-off". You can change your own oil for around $ 50 (or LESS). The lubrication part I doubt the shops are really doing it.
As far as topping fluids, that's another bs. If you don't have any leaks, then they have nothing to top off...

Good luck.

Last edited by chefro; 07-09-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:35 AM
1st Gear

^^ Agreed with all. Super rape. Even from a dealer, I paid $1250 for my TB job (with a 15% off online coupon). Most of the rest of it you can DIY. Like was said before, the coolant flush is INCLUDED in the TB swap, so they're hitting you twice there. I also paid $80 for my brake fluid flush ( the pedal was getting soft) from a dealer with a coupon (regular price $160).
Find a recommended indie. Check the regional forums.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:41 AM
3rd Gear

I can't help with a garage in Chicago, but I have a great indie shop only two hours away in Holland MI (Intune, Jason Nyikes, 616-392-4155). With the money you save, you could enjoy a nice day at the beach.

Intune's labor rate is currently $78/hr and the standard for a TB is 6 hours. You can buy a kit from Blauparts for about $400 or he can provide for roughly the same. I also had him replace the battery in my daughter's A4, cost $139 total. I believe you have to provide charge to the car's system while replacing the battery else you risk locking up your radio -- you can buy a cigar lighter charger for this for a few bucks if you want toi DIY.

He did my brake fluid for $86 including fluid.

Jason is fair and competent and works on both my Audis and one of my Crossfires.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:03 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ppgoal
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkslategray] the standard for a TB is 6 hours. ]
6 hours for a 2.7T? Are you sure? Audi quotes 20 hours, and the most recommended indie by me quotes 12 hours. What gives?

Old 07-09-2009, 11:10 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jaymac
6 hours for a 2.7T? Are you sure? Audi quotes 20 hours, and the most recommended indie by me quotes 12 hours. What gives?

You can do a timing belt job in 6 hours. If you hurry the f up without pee and beer breaks then even 4 to 5 can be done.

Going back to the original post question, yes you are getting ripped off. Pretty much go by what Chefro said. Also you can make either diy stuff or find a local independent mechanic to do the work for a lot less.

Last edited by hxgaser; 07-09-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:17 PM
2nd Gear

20 hours!!! No way.

Quick Reply: Help needed!! 2001 Audi A6 2.7T and the dealer just slapped a $6,900 repair estimate