Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - New brakes?....New hazard switch? plus more...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 12:43 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Help - New brakes?....New hazard switch? plus more...

Hi,

I have an 2002 Audi A6 3.0 Quartto

My front brakes are not stopping like they use to and there is a slight screeching? Do I need to change my brakes? Its a 300 dollar job where I take it to.

Also, what bulb repalcements would legally give me a VERY high visual at night?

I also want to know if I hear this electrical shortage staticy sound from the dashboard... is it the harzard switch like the Audi dealership said?

Thanks in advance.
Kish

Old 02-28-2012, 05:19 PM
1st Gear

check the car for codes in the engine and abs system. there may be a leak in your brake booster line. or you need new pads.

bulbs would be the 4100k from silvania called silver star. 4100k is brighter than the stock halogen which is i believe is 2300k or 3000k.

if the sound is heard while you are using your blinkers then yes. if not then no.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:30 PM
1st Gear

A friend of mine had a similar slight screech and brake fade on his jeep. When he looked at his brakes there was nothing left on his inner pads and the inner rotor surface had completely worn through to the cooling fins. Just a thought.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:59 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Brityank
A friend of mine had a similar slight screech and brake fade on his jeep. When he looked at his brakes there was nothing left on his inner pads and the inner rotor surface had completely worn through to the cooling fins. Just a thought.
Yeah, I think I need to change my brakes. What brand is a good one to purchase?

Thx

Old 03-03-2012, 03:00 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by budhani786
check the car for codes in the engine and abs system. there may be a leak in your brake booster line. or you need new pads.

bulbs would be the 4100k from silvania called silver star. 4100k is brighter than the stock halogen which is i believe is 2300k or 3000k.

if the sound is heard while you are using your blinkers then yes. if not then no.
Where can I buy it for a great price?

Old 03-04-2012, 09:43 AM
1st Gear

It all depends on what you want to spend. Amazon sell ac delco rears for $18 each. Then the fronts run from around $28 to $150 depending on brand and quality. I personally use Wagner thermometer quiet pads. Also have a look at rockauto.com, fcgroton.com and blauparts.com. All have the option of searching for your car specific parts and are competitively priced.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:44 PM
2nd Gear

As stated in some other posts I recommend the EBC brake pads. I bought them off ECStuning however you might get them cheaper somewhere else.

EBC has 3 different colors for different applications. Green for low quality/daily driver (more brake dust, good when you start driving but not so good when they heat up or on very wet days); red = good quality/daily fast driver (less brake dust, brakes better when you have tapped the brakes a few times and good when it is wet); Yellow for high quality/racing (less brake dust, superb braking after brakes have been heated up but not very good when you have cold brakes).

While you are at it, maybe you should also look into getting new rotors. I also purchased a set of ECStuning that are cross drilled and slotted. If you like to brake heavy consider getting only the slotted rotors since cross drilled tend to crack under heavy braking! Anyhow I enjoy hitting the brakes now even though they are much louder due to the slots and holes (sounds like grinding noise).

Old 03-05-2012, 10:02 AM
1st Gear

Agreed, with EBC being good (also brembo, had both brands on motorbikes) but you get the premium price that comes with the best kit. Not that I'm saying you should skimp either. It is literally what you're budget will stretch to.
The Wagner pads are a great all round pad. Great wet or dry, predictable stopping power, little dust and quiet. I have them on my explorer and my 97 A6 Quattro.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:55 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Kish
Hi,
I also want to know if I hear this electrical shortage staticy sound from the dashboard... is it the harzard switch like the Audi dealership said?

Thanks in advance.
Kish
Yes, this would be my guess too. I had this happen to my '03 2.7T. It was the relay right behind the triangle. You can buy a new one for I think 100 (?) or I have even heard of people taking their existing unit apart and simply cleaning the contacts off. People have said some type of build up occurs on the relay, causing that weird sound.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:44 PM
1st Gear
Smile

Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar
Yes, this would be my guess too. I had this happen to my '03 2.7T. It was the relay right behind the triangle. You can buy a new one for I think 100 (?) or I have even heard of people taking their existing unit apart and simply cleaning the contacts off. People have said some type of build up occurs on the relay, causing that weird sound.
Would you happen to know the part number so I can buy it to have it installed?

Thanks again,
Kish

Quick Reply: Help - New brakes?....New hazard switch? plus more...