Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help unlocking my 2004 Audi A6 Quatro trunk??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 05:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Help unlocking my 2004 Audi A6 Quatro trunk??

I'm going nuts. The other day I put something in the trunk of my 2004 Audi A6Quatro, and closed and locked my car. When I got home, I went to open my trunk. The only thing I did "wrong", I think, was that when I used my key fob, AT THE SAME TIME, I also tried to open my trunk with the trunk handle. Well, it wouldn't open! I could hear the locking mechanism whenever I tried to open the trunk, but it was totally locked. I then entered the trunk area from the back seat, but I couldn't even unlock the trunk manually by trying to unlock it with the emergency unlock lever. Nothing worked. I've tried everything to get that trunk to unlock, but nothing works.

I have checked my fuse...it's fine. I bought a new battery for my key fob, it still doesn't work. SO, I tried to reprogram the fob by following the directions I read in another post... the one that says put a spare key in the ignition, turn it forward one click, roll down the driver's window, use my spare fob to lock then unlock, etc., etc., etc.. it did not work either. To make matters even worse, NOW the key fob won't work at all. It will neither lock OR UNLOCK the doors. The only way I can lock or unlock the doors is manually, with the actual key.

Has anyone else had this problem? IF SO, how did you fix this issue? I don't want to go to the dealer and pay out the nose to find an answer, which I'm sure is a simple fix.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:55 PM
1st Gear

Not sure what your problem could be but have you tried to unlock the trunk with the key using the lock on the rear deck? i think that is a manual system and would work. The only other thing would be that when you get the trunk open pull the liner and check the wires, connections and cables for the manual release.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:43 PM
1st Gear
Default thanks for your suggestion..... BUT

Thanks for your suggestion, but that was one of the very first things that I tried. It made a sound like the lock was TRYING to release, but, the instant I tried to open the trunk with the trunk release handle, it made the same "noise" again, and STILL did not open....

I checked my manual, and it offers NO suggestions for unlocking the trunk, only for LOCKING the trunk...

I'm so frustrated with this, that I could almost chuck my Audi across the lawn! (My poor wife is sick of hearing about it, LOL)

I have always prided myself in knowing how to "FIX" just anything, I even tacked changing my CV shaft with great success (thanks to the posts on this forum), but this is a major pain in the royal pain in the butt.

Last edited by Carl Cooper; 11-16-2008 at 08:27 AM. Reason: to finish my sentence
Old 11-15-2008, 11:14 PM
1st Gear

The unlocking mechanism in the lid must broken/ not working, sounds like a dealer is needed for this. As for the FOB remote not working any more, your re-code did not work, you'll have to do it again, follow the directions exactly. good luck

Old 11-16-2008, 06:44 AM
2nd Gear

Did you accidentally put the car in "valet mode"?

Old 11-16-2008, 08:23 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by WolfsA62.8Q
The unlocking mechanism in the lid must broken/ not working, sounds like a dealer is needed for this. As for the FOB remote not working any more, your re-code did not work, you'll have to do it again, follow the directions exactly. good luck
I thought the same thing, so I tried to do the reprograming again. In fact, I have tried to do the reprograming 3 times, each time without success.

It just seems like I've tried everything.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:26 AM
1st Gear
Default permanently locked trunk and valet mode?

Originally Posted by Kevin
Did you accidentally put the car in "valet mode"?
Now that is something new. I haven't heard of "valet mode". I do have a spare "valet" key (black plastic), but I wasn't using it when I tried to open the trunk the first time at the exact time I was trying to open it with the trunk handle.

How do you PUT the Audi in Valet Mode, and having asked that, how do you reverse the valet mode?

THANKS for some new thoughts!

Old 11-19-2008, 09:41 PM

I bought my 1996 A6 with the trunk lock broken. I worked through the hole in the middle of the rear seat back for carring skies, to remove the two screws which hold the lock wedge to the car body. There was a plastic cover which had to be removed to get to the screws. This can only be done if the the trunk is nearly empty. A small hole has to be drilled in the plastic cover, using several long drill bit extentions. Next, a screw on the end of a long stick is used to pull the cover off. Next, the lock wedge screws are removed using several very long socket wrench extentions. After the lock wedge is loose, the trunk may be forced open.
There was a defect in the plastic parts on the 1996 cylinder assembly, which later year cylinders do not have. So, I took the plastic parts from a used latter version cylinder and used them with the original 1996 cylinder, so I don't have a separate trunk key.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:21 PM
1st Gear

I can't thank you enough!!! We got home from a trip and couldn't open the trunk on our Audi A6 and I ran across your post about the "Valet" switch! That was the problem!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

Old 08-27-2014, 08:52 PM
1st Gear

I'm having the same problem I have an Audi a4 2004 & I hear the trunk unlocking bit it won't open.....What can I do to unlock it plus my key fob isn't opening it

Quick Reply: Help unlocking my 2004 Audi A6 Quatro trunk??