Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hissing, rattling & vibrating... "oh my"

Old 05-11-2009, 09:45 AM
1st Gear
Default hissing, rattling & vibrating... "oh my"

2000 A6 2.7t 6spd 79k.

Hissing:
I just got this car. The first couple days everything ran great. On the 3rd day I noticed a hissing sound coming from the brake pedal that wasn't there before. A compressed air sound as the pedal releases. It only happens intermittently some times when I start the car it's fine. I tried to read up on possibilities sounds like a brake booster or hose.

Rattling & vibrating:
The other thing I noticed is that when I'm accelerating the car vibrates between 2-3,000 rpm's. Only on acceleration in each gear and when steady at 70mph. When the vibration begins so does a rattle that I think is the exhaust at just about the middle of the car. This also is happening intermittently. Some days it's fine.

The Rub:
The vibrating & rattling only appears to be occurring while the pedal is hissing. Possibly one is an effect of the other. (not 100% on that but I believe so) Is it possible the two are relating, maybe a hose leak is causing the car not to accelerate properly and creating a vibration? Being the optimist I am, I thought replace a hose and get the wheels balanced. But now i'm not sure.

Last edited by 1trkmind; 05-11-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:36 PM
3rd Gear

You Audi is having a hissy fit! LOL

You may be right about a brake booster issue but I'd check the cruise control switch on the brake pedal. I believe some of them are vacuum operated.

Chase down the hissing first and then the other things.

Search this Thread