Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need a CV joint

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:17 PM
1st Gear
Default need a CV joint

Alright i changed my oil and while i was doing it i found out that the drivers side of the car, the cv joint, well the black plastic cover is totally torn and its not attached

i tried looking online and i can find just that specific item, anyone knows where to go??
or a mechanic here in chicago, i wont do that change myself i know i have to take off the disk and stuff and i dont have te tools for that
its the black thingy that is plastic pyramid looking
http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com...d40e1393bf865c

any help would be appreciated

Old 05-27-2008, 12:30 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: need a CV joint

http://vastperformance.com/shop/prod...products_id=76

I think this is what your looking for $24.00s

Old 05-27-2008, 12:49 PM
3rd Gear

Replacing the CV boot is not simple. You have to pop off a ball joint to pull the front axel and then disassemble the jiont to get the boot on. Most peopleget a rebuilt axel assembly - thusyou get new inner and outer boots.

do a search on this forum and you'll see waht other said...

Old 05-27-2008, 01:46 PM
2nd Gear

If you don't have the tools, you'll have to take it to a mechanic. Any decent mechanic can do it, but someone who works on Audis will have the proper tools so you won't have to leave your car for more than a day. Don't be surprised if they tell you you needs lots more parts under there!

Bob

Old 05-27-2008, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

i had those done like 20 k miles ago when i had my breaks done but here in chicago roads are crap, same with my driving, i kinda abuse the pedal i cant help it its so nice

the guy that intalled them both front charged me like 150 for both
i just need to put that again it makes a horrible noise when i turn the wheel left

Old 05-27-2008, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

I replaced my outer cv boots, both outer joints, and both tie rod ends.

Was not too bad. I have the Bentley manual, and used the following as a guide:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel37.shtml
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel29.shtml

The parts came from:
ecstuning.com

I recommend using oem parts.

You'll need basic tools.
1/2 and 3/8 socket sets. (metric)
Socket breaker bar
Large torx bit. (17mm I think)
Jack
Stands
etc...

If you're mechanically inclined, it will not take too long.
Just study the manual and the posts to get a good idea of what you are doing.

The money you save in labor can go towards tools!!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:18 PM
1st Gear

nope there is no way im going to do that lol i dont trust myself im pretty cumsy and that requires things u need
i would try it but thats too much for me i remember when the dude did it, he had trouble pullling the cv parts out, im sure i wont be able to

Old 06-11-2008, 08:35 AM

Audiparts.com has the OEM replacements for $112.00-$117.00. They arrive at you home in 2 days and they are the real deal. The entire job takes 2.7 hours of labor according to MIDAS at a cost of $226.00. Now I am sure that they fudged the numbers to their benefit so I am doing the work myself. The thing is you have to purchase a 8MM 12 point allen socket to remove the bolts at the transmission (Really Hard tool to find). I had to phone a German tool place in Atlanta to order the part.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:48 AM
2nd Gear

I got this job done and was only charged 50 bucs ontop of what he was already doing.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:17 PM

I am about to do this same repair myself... Check out: http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_a...oint_kit.shtml

The part was cheap and the link above explains why they don't recommend replacing anything besider the joint.

I have the official service manual in CD form and they show a special tool to press off the CV joint. The CV joint is held on with snap ring that sits inside a groove on the inside of the CV joint. The kit i got comes with a new hex screw that is threaded all the way to the head. Using this same screw, once the axle is out from the tire exposing the CV joint, you should be able to easily screw the screw into the joint and press off the CV joint.

I will take some pics and post them in my original post.

Quick Reply: need a CV joint