Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Humming Noise? New Pump,Pulley,Belt?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:12 PM
1st Gear
Angry Humming Noise? New Pump,Pulley,Belt?

(02 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0L AWD)

I just replaced my powersteering pump, Pulley, and Serpentine belt, just a 3 days ago. Now its 25*F where i live and now when ever i turn the car on the pump hummmmmmss like its crying for help! This only happens when its cold, but when it warms up it doesnt go away but it is still noticeable.

I bled the pump just last night and it didnt do it that much after that, but the next morning it came back. I dont want to put LuCas Stop Leak, and thicken that Fluid and Mess my new pump up. I just recently bought Prestone
"Powersteering Fluid +Helps Stop Squeals". I dont know if i should mess with the fluid or just let the pump break in a little bit, guessing because its a new pump?

Also I repleaced my timing belt, water pump, Thermostat, Coil Packs, Spark Plugs, a couple months before this... I dont know what else could be a Problem now...

I just checked the Powersteering fluid level and it was past the MAX line, i took some out and the sound isnt as loud but its still there....

Last edited by PurpleNerple; 12-14-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Problem not mentioned
Old 12-15-2010, 08:03 AM
2nd Gear

Sound slike you still have some air in your system. Give it a few days to work its way out. If it is still there by this weekend, or if it gets worse, check all your connections as one of them might be loose and letting air in.

Bob

Old 12-15-2010, 08:27 AM
1st Gear

Lift the front of the car and start the engine....slowly turn the steering wheel from lock to lock 5 or 6 times. This will bleed the steering system and might help you.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:12 AM
1st Gear

I performed these steps

How to Bleed
Step 1 Do not start the engine until the system is fully bled. Doing so may cause damage to the
power steering components. Pump internals are metal on metal. Any air in the system can
cause metal to metal contact and damage.
Step 2 Raise the front wheels off the ground, or remove the pitman arm or tie rod.
Step 3 Turn steering wheel fully to the left.
Step 4 Fill fluid reservoir to “full cold” level. Leave cap off.
Step 5 Whith an assistant checking the fluid level and condition, turn the steering wheel slowly and
smoothly lock to lock until fluid level drops in pump reservoir. If fluid level has not dropped,
no fluid has moved through the system. This normally indicates a large bubble in the
reservoir or pump. Until this bubble passes, no fluid will circulate through the system.
— On systems with coolers, winches, or Rock Ram assist you may need to cycle in excess
of 40 times.
— Do not turn the steering wheel fast as this will cause the fluid to overflow the reservoir.
Trapped air may cause fluid to overflow. Thoroughly clean any spilled fluid to allow for
leak check.
Step 6 Check fluid constantly to ensure proper level and that no bubbles exist.
— If you see any signs of bubbles, recheck all connections then repeat the steps above.
— Fluid level should be steady (Rock Ram’s level will vary slightly).
Step 7 Disable engine from starting. (Non Hydro Boost Brake Systems)
— Crank engine several revolutions. If fluid level drops, there is compressed air trapped in
the system. Repeat above steps until fluid level is stable.
— If fluid foams while cranking, wait 10 minutes or more until dispersed air has time to
accumulate and purge through the reservoir.
Step 8 Continue above steps until fluid level remains constant and no air bubbles are visible.

But for some reason I ethier have to turn the car on and see if it still makes noise when i turn it.... which it does a little bit but then there wont be any bubbles or foam. but after i place it off of the lifts it starts to make noise again like if there is a air pocket with in the line. There are no fluid levels droping unless i turn the car on. Fluid rises when off. to Hot and Cold Lines.

Is there any way on telling when you have all of the air out of the vehicle other than not seeing bubbles or foam??