Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm happy I don't drive an A4!

Old 01-22-2009, 04:47 PM
3rd Gear
Default I'm happy I don't drive an A4!

Read this --

ISO Quality Planning, the San Francisco company that studied the records of 1.7 million drivers, compiled a list of ticket magnets that confirmed some long-held notions: Owners of the 507-horsepower Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG and similarly muscular CLK63 AMG received outsized numbers of tickets, as did the generally young owners of the relatively inexpensive Scion tC, xB and xA, and the Audi A4 sports sedan.

God bless my A6!! LOL

Old 01-22-2009, 04:58 PM
3rd Gear

Owners of the 507-horsepower Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG and similarly muscular CLK63 AMG received outsized numbers of tickets, as did the generally young owners of the relatively inexpensive Scion tC, xB and xA, and the Audi A4 sports sedan.

This is pretty much similar with the saying: "Guns don't kill people. People kill people"

Cars have nothing to do with stupidity, or exuberance, or... carelessness. If someone is dumb enough (or...rich enough) to spend + $ 100,000 on an AMG, probably has enough money to pay the speed tickets.
About young people and driving habits... that's another sliperry slope Bob might tax me on....

Ah.....another thing...probably in Germany that ticket statistic would be non-existent or useless.

Last edited by chefro; 01-22-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:23 AM
3rd Gear

Coincidentaly, earlier this evening was a documentary on History channel about Germany's Autobahn.
The speeders (where enforced speed limit areas - around the urban sprawls) and tailgaters are paying tickets based on the income... Now that's a great way to "progressively" drill some law-obeying sense into careless idiots.
There are still plenty segments without speed limits where they can let their demons out. A Porsche topped a 212 mph... yepp, camera rolling on, focused on the spedo.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 AM
3rd Gear

I've driven across Germany a couple times: from Frankfurt to Aachen, from Frankfurt to Paris, and from Aachen to Munich and then into the Czech Republic.

Contrary to perception, the Autobahn (which is the German highway system of A2, A3, A4, etc) is a narrow two-lane highway most of the time with lots of curves and hilly sections. Anywhere it goes through a city -- and it goes through a lot of them-- the speed limit drops to 130 kph (~80mph) or lower. There really aren't a lot of wide open straightaways with no speed limit. That being said, there are short sections of road where you can open it up and I've been passed by Porsches and Mercedes going at warp speed. I enjoyed a drive back from western Germany where we cruised at 200 kph for three hours and I had a rental turbo BMW 3-series up to 220 kph.

The difference between the US and the Germans: US drivers suck at driving. They don't signal, don't keep right, pull into the passing lane without looking, drive cars with bad brakes and worse tires, yammer on cell phones or put on make-up while driving, etc. That behavior and those POS are not allowed on the autobahn. I made the mistake of passing on the right on a 4-lane stretch of highway and my German companion almost had a stroke -- I never did that again. After a visit to Germany, it hurts to drive here. You may call the Germans hierarchical and too willing to follow orders, but it pays dividends when it comes to driving at 100+ mph.

I'd like to see the US start enforcing the basic traffic laws, like keep right except to pass and use your turn signal when changing lanes. It's not driving fast that kills people -- it's stupidity. (rant done)

Old 01-23-2009, 12:07 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ppgoal
It's not driving fast that kills people -- it's stupidity. (rant done)
Well, I agree 100%. Is exactly what I was saying.

By the way, the Autobahn is curvier so that it keeps the drivers' senses awake. All the incline grades are below 7%, so that you don't lose speed...
I too drove on E52 (Karlsruhe to Munich) and E55 - into Austria (all the way to Wien) and I loved every minute of it, although only behind the wheel of an ...Opel...

Old 01-23-2009, 12:15 PM
3rd Gear

That Polizei car cracked me up at the time

Attached Thumbnails I'm happy I don't drive an A4!-untitled4.jpg   I'm happy I don't drive an A4!-untitled3.jpg   I'm happy I don't drive an A4!-untitled2.jpg   I'm happy I don't drive an A4!-untitled1.jpg  
Old 01-23-2009, 12:31 PM

I've seen that documentary too. Very cool stuff actually. And, my absolute favorite (by far) thing that the Germans do is paying tickets based on income. That is so much more effective than giving me a $200 ticket for going 80+ and a multimillion dollar super star of whatever gets the same thing. How is that supposed to solve anything? Wasn't it Jose Canseco that got a ton of tickets all in like a day or two wayyy back when he was popular?

Originally Posted by chefro
Coincidentaly, earlier this evening was a documentary on History channel about Germany's Autobahn.
The speeders (where enforced speed limit areas - around the urban sprawls) and tailgaters are paying tickets based on the income... Now that's a great way to "progressively" drill some law-obeying sense into careless idiots.
There are still plenty segments without speed limits where they can let their demons out. A Porsche topped a 212 mph... yepp, camera rolling on, focused on the spedo.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by NH_USA
Read this --

ISO Quality Planning, the San Francisco company that studied the records of 1.7 million drivers, compiled a list of ticket magnets that confirmed some long-held notions: Owners of the 507-horsepower Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG and similarly muscular CLK63 AMG received outsized numbers of tickets, as did the generally young owners of the relatively inexpensive Scion tC, xB and xA, and the Audi A4 sports sedan.

God bless my A6!! LOL
How did BMW not made it onto the list, they are the biggest ticket magnets.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:48 PM

Speeding tickets based on income? sounds kind of unecessary to me. In this country, speeding tickets can result in points on your license which can result in you losing your license. What about parking tickets based on income? Littering fines based on income? Does a rich person really owe more than a poor person for speeding or is it just easier to take money from rich people?

Old 01-23-2009, 01:03 PM

Yes, the "rich person" should pay more (but, not really based on what you'll see below) for everything you listed. You're obviously missing the point, completely. Try looking at it this way:

An Assembly Line Worker makes, say $40K per year. The CEO of the same company makes $500K per year. Reasonably average figures for us here in the US. Now, if they both get pulled over and given a $200 ticket, it goes like this. The ALW just lost .5% of his salary while the CEO lost .04% of his salary. That means the ALW's ticket cost him 12.5 times MORE than the CEO. Getting a ticket relative to your income makes perfect sense to me.

Originally Posted by AutoUnionFan
Speeding tickets based on income? sounds kind of unecessary to me. In this country, speeding tickets can result in points on your license which can result in you losing your license. What about parking tickets based on income? Littering fines based on income? Does a rich person really owe more than a poor person for speeding or is it just easier to take money from rich people?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm happy I don't drive an A4!