Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

increasing ticking during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:42 AM
1st Gear
Default increasing ticking during acceleration

Hello all,
I have a 2002 A6 3.0 with approximately 114,000 miles. I bought it used in December 2010 with 100,000 miles and it came with a "limited" 5-year warranty. Over the past month or so, I have been noticing a ticking(much like the sound of valves in a low oil condition). The sound only occurs during acceleration and disappears once the RPM's drop. I have noticed the sound is now getting louder. So far, I have cleaned the injection system with SeaFoam, got an oil change(I only use 100% synthetic oil as recommended by the dealer and friends with German engines) and added Lucas oil stabilizer. It seemed to help for a little while, but it keeps returning. Does anyone have a ballpark diagnosis and/or any suggestions before I have to send this vehicle to repair? Also, my emergency brake cover has become faulty and the warning beep is slowly driving me insane. Anyone know what fuse controls the emergency brake sensor and if it operates anything else where it would be detrimental to pull it? Thanks a lot. You all have always been very helpful, and I could really use some advice.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:06 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by epidemik11
Hello all,
I have a 2002 A6 3.0 with approximately 114,000 miles. I bought it used in December 2010 with 100,000 miles and it came with a "limited" 5-year warranty. Over the past month or so, I have been noticing a ticking(much like the sound of valves in a low oil condition). The sound only occurs during acceleration and disappears once the RPM's drop. I have noticed the sound is now getting louder. So far, I have cleaned the injection system with SeaFoam, got an oil change(I only use 100% synthetic oil as recommended by the dealer and friends with German engines) and added Lucas oil stabilizer. It seemed to help for a little while, but it keeps returning. Does anyone have a ballpark diagnosis and/or any suggestions before I have to send this vehicle to repair? Also, my emergency brake cover has become faulty and the warning beep is slowly driving me insane. Anyone know what fuse controls the emergency brake sensor and if it operates anything else where it would be detrimental to pull it? Thanks a lot. You all have always been very helpful, and I could really use some advice.
Not a big 3.0 expert but this could be the problem with the 3.0's cam lobes. They tend to wear out around you miles as well.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:25 PM
1st Gear

Thanks. I anticipate the repair shop trying to wiggle their way out of fixing it through its warranty. Is this an expensive repair? I'm figuring the cam lobes are under the valves, so intricate engine work is a headache I don't need right now.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by epidemik11
Thanks. I anticipate the repair shop trying to wiggle their way out of fixing it through its warranty. Is this an expensive repair? I'm figuring the cam lobes are under the valves, so intricate engine work is a headache I don't need right now.
yes it is a expensive repair. what oil viscosity are you using? since this the 3.0 has narrow oil passages you should be using a thin oil. 0w-30/40. that might help a tad with lubrication since the lucas oil stabilizer helped which basically makes the oil reach the top of the engine easier. if you have warranty then great! they probably will be asking you for oil change receipts. the 3.0 wasnt the best audi made at the time. especially the 3.0 with front wheel drive. the cvt tranny failed around 70k+catalytic converter problem+cam lobes.

good luck and report back on the what the shop says!

Old 03-09-2012, 01:03 PM
1st Gear

Before bringing the car to the repair shop, I read over the fine print of the warranty to find they will only accept computer-generated receipts. Two of my five receipts are handwritten, and I foresee the warranty company trying to wiggle their way out of honoring their contract. I also tried high-end oil treatments, which now seem to make the ticking only intermittent. Do you think this could be a less severe issue? As for your question in oil viscosity, I have only requested Castrol Syntec at every change, and they have used colder weather viscosities. Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited by epidemik11; 03-09-2012 at 01:06 PM.