Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Independent Mech. in Dallas,Tx? Is My Tranny kaput?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 06:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Independent Mech. in Dallas,Tx? Is My Tranny kaput?

Does anyone know of a good independent mechanic to work on a transmission problem in Dallas, Tx??

Is my tranny destroyed???? My Car is a 2000 Audi A6 Quattro with a manual transmission.

It was (when it was running) making a grinding sound at high rpm's while shifting from 1st to second. It drove great shifting under 4000 rpm's from first to second, but over 4000 it made terrible grinding sounds ever since I got it three weeks ago. The final grinding sound from first two second resulted in my not being able to get into second and now it wont shift into any other gear...

Is this typical of a blown tranny/ clutch problem??? Can anyone help me, or know of where I should take it????

Old 06-14-2007, 09:49 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Independent Mech. in Dallas,Tx? Is My Tranny kaput?

From my single experience, a "blown" clutch tends to slip. Mine got progressively worse, but no noise. The engine would rev without any "go" under medium-to-hard acceleration.

I also had to replace the flywheel because the original had broken and left some small pieces in the bottom of the housing. I took it home to weight it, and was surprised that it was not a single hunk of metal but had some plates that rotated in it. I'll bet if they completely broke, it would result in noises and maybe no shift.

I'll have to let someone else comment on whether you could have toasted your shift linkages or the transmission gears themselves. I hope not.