Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Controls

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 06:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Interior Controls

Hey guys,

Still a noob here, trying to figure out his car. I didn't get an owner's manuel with my car so I am trying to figure it out! I have a few questions on basic interior controls.

1st off, it is a 2001 A6 4.2.

1) The headlight switch: It pulls OUT, in 2 phases. One click out (As opposed to 'over' to the right) turns the fog lights on. What does the second click 'out' do? As far as I can tell, nothing.....

2) Heated Mirrors: It hasn't been cold enough to find out if this is true, but, a friend of mine with an 02' VW GTI said that when the sideview mirror switch that is on the center console is positioned in the middle, that this activated the heated mirrors. Is this true? I thought this was simply the 'off' position for the mirror movement.

3) Telescoping steering wheel: I noticed when I 1st bought it, that the steering wheel would telescope in and out. It hasn't done that in a while and I don't know why. Is there an on/off button somewhere that I accidentally shut off and don't know about it?

4) Passenger sideview mirror: When I put it in reverse, it cycles all the way down, pointed to the ground. Is this a 'feature'? Or, typical Audi/VW electronics at they're finest?

5) Headlight washer mechinisms: How do I activate these??

6) Rear ventilation: Unless the blower motor is ALL the way up, you can't even feel air coming out of the rear vents... And even then, it is minimal. Is this normal, or is there a control somewhere that I am unaware of?

That should do it for now... thanks guys!

~George

Old 10-02-2008, 06:32 PM
1st Gear

idk about anything but #4 lol...newer cars..some starting as early as 2001 like urs, had a feature that when the car was put into reverse it would automatically tilt the mirrors down so u could see the lines u were backing into...of course this said, it doesnt help if ur backing out of a spot lol but thats what the rear view mirror is for

Old 10-02-2008, 06:43 PM
2nd Gear

#1: The second pull on the fog lights activates the REAR fog light. Not much to explain, look it up if you're curious.

#2: The heated mirrors should be automatic, putting the thing in the middle won't do anything - however! for your question #4: If you point it towards the passenger mirror and put the car in reverse the mirror will point down so you can see the "curb".

#3: The telescoping wheel isn't too fancy, it's all mechanical. There is a little lever under the wheel that does the locking of the up/down in/out. It may be stuck, give it a little force - again there is no off, it's just a friction switch via the lever on the bottom.

#5: The headlight washers activate if you have the headlights on and you use the washer fluid. It's about 3 seconds before they go (so you can wash your windshield without doing the headlights, which gets washer fluid EVERYWHERE).

#6: There never is much air pressure for the air to get back there, maybe try seeing if something is blocking it? But don't expect it to be anything near what the front is.

And for future reference I don't mind answering these, but almost all of these are a simple google search away. ("site:audiforums.com #####" if you want to just search these forums).

Last edited by nm3210; 10-02-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by nm3210
#1: The second pull on the fog lights activates the REAR fog light. Not much to explain, look it up if you're curious.

#2: The heated mirrors should be automatic, putting the thing in the middle won't do anything - however! for your question #4: If you point it towards the passenger mirror and put the car in reverse the mirror will point down so you can see the "curb".

#3: The telescoping wheel isn't too fancy, it's all mechanical. There is a little lever under the wheel that does the locking of the up/down in/out. It may be stuck, give it a little force - again there is no off, it's just a friction switch via the lever on the bottom.

#5: The headlight washers activate if you have the headlights on and you use the washer fluid. It's about 3 seconds before they go (so you can wash your windshield without doing the headlights, which gets washer fluid EVERYWHERE).

#6: There never is much air pressure for the air to get back there, maybe try seeing if something is blocking it? But don't expect it to be anything near what the front is.

And for future reference I don't mind answering these, but almost all of these are a simple google search away. ("site:audiforums.com #####" if you want to just search these forums).
I did some searching, but the site would keep timing out. Tried it 2 nights in a row and just gave up and posted. Sorry about that, I will utilize the search more before posting these.

Anyhow, my steering column DEFINITELY automatically telescoped with a motor. After you started the car, it would slowly drop down and telescope out. When you took the key out, it would go back in, and tilt back up on it's own. But, it's not doing it now. Not sure what's up with that.

Rear fog light??? Uhh, ok... I will have to look that up.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:06 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by nm3210

nailed it bro.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:26 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by FourPointDuece
Anyhow, my steering column DEFINITELY automatically telescoped with a motor. After you started the car, it would slowly drop down and telescope out. When you took the key out, it would go back in, and tilt back up on it's own. But, it's not doing it now. Not sure what's up with that.
That's on a 2001? Hmm! I didn't know.