AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Issue with Steering Wheel Controls, Horn Included (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/issue-steering-wheel-controls-horn-included-159650/)

Schilly 11-08-2010 11:29 AM

Issue with Steering Wheel Controls, Horn Included

Hey everyone,

I am trying to track down an issue and I am having no luck at all.

Some time ago, all of the interior dash lights, and radio turned off and then back on again... I thought nothing of it until I ran into a situation where I would have loved to be able to use my horn... But to my surprise nothing happened.

Since then, I haven noticed that none of the steering wheel controls work (Radio controls) nor does the horn button.

I am fairly sure that the horn it's self is okay, as I can hear an audible "bonk" when arming the alarm. The radio still works and everything is working fine With the exception of the buttons on the wheel it's self.

The back-light to said buttons also does not function.

I have done all the obvious things like check fuses and reset the car's electric system (Disconnected battery and waited for some time)... But nothing seems to be fixing the issue.

The only other thing that is wrong atm that I can tell is the passenger's side Fog lamp is out.

I have called the local dealership to get ideas, and they said it may be something in the steering wheel it's self... But they want 100 bucks + per hour to diagnose it... Which well I cannot afford atm.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Schilly 11-08-2010 11:42 AM

Additional information I forgot to mention...

Model is: A6 Quatro 2.8 L
Year: 2000

bob martin 11-08-2010 03:12 PM

There is probably something wrong in the steering wheel or column wiring harness. With everything gone bad, I would suspect a connection has come loose.

Good luck,

Bob

hxgaser 11-08-2010 06:10 PM

Clock spring?

Schilly 11-08-2010 06:47 PM

Also forgot to mention that I am fairly new to this... New to Audi's anyways... I have attempted to remove the steering assembly that houses the horn button / radio buttons... But it seems as if one of the screws that holds it on is stripped... Atleast the provided allen-key would not loosen the one screw. I will be attempting again tomorrow

hxgaser 11-09-2010 06:28 PM

If I remember correctly, bolts holding the airbag is torx, not allen. You also need M12 triple square bit for the steering wheel removal to access the clock spring.

Schilly 11-09-2010 07:14 PM

Yea I thought they were Torx as well... But nope! The allen key that was provided, in the fuse box cover unscrewed the one but not the other... Was acting like it was stripped.

dr_molise 03-30-2020 04:41 AM

Audi A4 B8, 2009, 2.0 TFSI

Originally Posted by bob martin (Post 1257741)
There is probably something wrong in the steering wheel or column wiring harness. With everything gone bad, I would suspect a connection has come loose.

Good luck,

Bob

Hi Bob
Where is the steering wheel / column wiring harness located?

Regards,