Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jury of my peers... '04 2.7T or '05 3.2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:58 AM
4th Gear
Lightbulb Jury of my peers... '04 2.7T or '05 3.2?

Gentlemen, let me start off by introducing myself to the A6 section of the wonderful AudiForums. My name is Brad, I'm married with 3 kids, 13, 11, and 4. I am currently deployed but will be returning next month to my beautiful wife, who wants a "new" car (don't they all). She loves my car, and I think it will be very easy to convince her to "let me" buy her an Audi as well. I've been doing some research, and I've narrowed it down to an '04 2.7T or the '05 3.2.

-Both are comparable in stock HP (~250ish). I don't plan to mod much, that's what my A4 is for.

-The '05 is slightly bigger, which makes a huge difference when you have a family of 5.

-The '04 is a couple thousand cheaper, which means more mods for my toy.

-I prefer the exterior of the '04 ever so slightly more than the '05, but the '05 interior blows my mind. Of course, this is based solely off of pics on autotrader and cars.com, ect.

-I've read some "expert" reviews about the MMI system being a real PITA to use. Can anyone give me their honest opinion? My wife and I pretty smart people, so I figure it can't be that difficult...

-I plan to buy this car in July, and we will be driving to Orlando (from Kansas, about 21 hour drive) in August for a long overdue and much deserved family vacation. Which one would you rather drive? Which one would be more comfortable for the kids in the back?

-I know generally what to look for with the 2.7T as far as maintenance, but what about the 3.2? T-belt every 60K as well, or have they finally improved the design with the new engine? Any other maintenance issues I should be concerned with?

Now I leave it to you, the jury of my peers, to help me decide which one is the right one. I already know what the first reply will say... "Just let her decide." Pretty much, I want to know in advance which one to steer her to, and let her worry about deciding what color she likes best.

Thanks in advance...

Old 06-08-2010, 10:19 AM
2nd Gear

You mentioned neither mileage, nor car (service) history, nor climate zone.

04 is the last model year for 2.7 (supposedly the best throughout the life of the model line)
05 is the first model year for 3.2 (usually for troubleshooting by the customer)

Are the cars CPO's or private sale?

3.2 => the FSI gunk?
2.7 => TC and turbos failures!

Old 06-08-2010, 01:30 PM
4th Gear

I haven't narrowed it down to specific cars yet, but the mileage would be under 80K or there about, and I would most likely be bying from a dealership, but not necessarily CPO.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Site Moderator

If you don't plan to mod get the 3.2L, the car has way more gadgets and much more comfortable to drive. The only thing i have seen go wrong with a 3.2L is an oil leak at the back of the cam covers, which is a very easy/cheap fix. The 3.2L also uses a timing chain, no belt to change. No brainer for me IMO.

Last edited by auditech79; 06-08-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Site Moderator

Oh and as far as the comment for the MMI is hard to use is rediculous, my dad has an 06 A6 3.2L and my 7 year old nephew can blow thru the MMI like its a game boy. Its actually really easy to use, however its difficult to change radio stations while driving without taking your eyes off the road. This complaint mainly comes from "WOMEN" that rear end people playing with it while driving, of course its gonna get a bad rap after a few of those.

It is however leaps and bounds easier to use than BMW's I drive, i still haven't figured out how to use that thing, and i worked as a pro mechanic at audi for 6 years! I've played with that thing in 3 different cars and it still baffles me to this day.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:45 PM
4th Gear

Great info auditech. Thanks for the input.

The chain on the 3.2 never needs to be replaced, or just not as often? What about all the other little things with the normal TB job, like the tensioner, water pump, ect.?

Old 06-08-2010, 10:57 PM
3rd Gear

3.2 is driven by timing chain instead of timing belt. Metal chains obviously lasts longer. As far as the maintenance interval of the timing chains, they are pretty much good for a lifetime of the engine, which in modern manufacturer's definition is 150K miles or so. Waterpump is probably 100K miles or so.

From what I hear, FSI is pretty bullet proof.

BTW if I can have my 2 cents, C6 (2005 and up) Avants are one of the greatest looking wagons out there, Although they are hard to come by, they may fit your need well.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:10 PM
4th Gear

I would have a really hard time convincing the wife to drive an Avant. She really wants a sedan after driving the Pacifica for a couple years (which is technically a crossover, but really just a giant wagon).

Old 06-08-2010, 11:11 PM
4th Gear

Also, thanks for your input on the 3.2 engine, hxgaser.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah a Pacifica and an A6 avant shouldn't even be a comparison, i would have her drive the thing before making any pre-judgements.
As far as i know, audi says the chain "never" needs to be replaced, if its not broke don't fix it right?

Quick Reply: Jury of my peers... '04 2.7T or '05 3.2?