Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a 2.7t... Wondering about secondary water pump and TB and other newbie ?s

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Just bought a 2.7t... Wondering about secondary water pump and TB and other newbie ?s

Hey guys.

I just moved up from a 99 a4 1.8t to the 2000 a6 2.7t. WoooO!

This black beauty has 91000 on her and took it to a local dealer to check her out. Very minimal problems but she does have some. I have read the welcome to 2.7t forum but had some personal questions

1) an Auxillary coolant pump leak. The mechanic said its around the middle of the engine. What is this and when i have it replaced should i look for any aftermarket ones or is stock fine?

2) Timing belt- I am going to do the timing belt since there hasnt been records for the past 15,000 miles and im guessing the person didnt do it. I just wanna know what i should all buy. I *possibly* have a leak on a cam seal or it could be a oil sender, but either way im going to be in that area so i know for sure i need cam seals. Obviously timing belt, water pump and pulleys, but is there anything else i should have replaced while im in the area?

3) My drivers side mirror is totally faded to brown. Same thing happened on my a4 but this a6 is too gorgeous so i need to replace it. How do i go about doing this? does a body man have to do this or can a average diy person like me do it?

4) I know Audis are touchy with remote start, but since this car has touchy turbos i wanna buy that, is it possible?

5) How easy are turbo timers to install?

6) How easy are downpipes to install?

7) In the welcome to 2.7t thread it said to replace tbb. Is that the throttle body?

8) My car runs a little rough at a stoplight, not terrible which makes me think its either the throttle body or Maf, is the maf like in the 1.8t where it takes a hour to replace? How about throttle body

9) I have been a Amsoil person my whole life. But my audi rep loves to recommend Mobil 1. Does it matter? and what weight do you recommend for the turbos since there touchy? I was thinking about the euro blend which i believe is 5w-40 which is what i used in my other audi

10) is the "tip chip" worth it with these cars?

Hey guys im pumped to have another audi and i hope to be active here. I live in the Minnesota area and will be shortly visiting the audiMN site.

Future plans after i get some maintenance done: Giac chip with possible tip chip. DP and fully updated suspension. Then from there we will see.

Last edited by Plopper; 02-17-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:56 PM
2nd Gear

1 - its under the intake manifold. Get stock. plan on valve cover gastes and cam chain tensioner gaskets and, why not, the spyder pipe while you are in there.
2 - get a kit and the tool if you insist on doing the cam seals. More likely your cam chain tensioner and/or valve cover gaskets are leaking.
3 - DIY. Pops out. Be brave!
4 - turbos aren't that touchy. Go for the remote!
5 - built in - see secondary water pump!!!
6 - punt to someone who has done this.
7 - throttle body boot
8 - or spyder pipe or plugs or coils
9 - your car will love Amsoil!
10 - its your money!

Bob

Old 02-18-2009, 12:20 PM
1st Gear

Hey thx a lot Bob. Im gonna get the maintenance done first then ill see about the chip and remote. I need to tint too, big list for a new car

Old 02-18-2009, 12:29 PM
2nd Gear

Under item2, add a thermostat.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

kk thx ziggy

Old 09-02-2009, 05:24 PM
1st Gear

Signal lights might go out but it's a pretty easy fix
the Cruise on mine went out also but there is a forum on here that tells you all about it and if your somewhat mechanically inclined you should be able to fix it yourself. other than that enjoy!! fun car.

post some pics when you have it all done.

jesse