AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Just did my tranny drian/refill with filter change! (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/just-did-my-tranny-drian-refill-filter-change-133578/)

madridlover 06-13-2009 10:47 PM

Just did my tranny drian/refill with filter change!

Went pretty smoothly. The only thing I messed up on was not installing new O-rings on the drain plug and fill plugs. Oh well, I reused the old ones and there are no leaks.

I drained about 5 and 1/4 quarts of fluid. At 113,500 miles, it was very dark, not black but like a very dark grey. The pan magnets were caked in grime and the old fluid smelt a little burnt. I've read that this means bad news but we'll see what happens.

After changing out the old filter with new filter and replacing the pan with a new gasket, I refilled it with new fresh Pentosin. It took about 4 1/2 quarts on the first fill and then after running through the gears it took an additional quart of tranny fluid. Just about the same amount I drained.

She seems to shift more smoothly from what I can remember....it's my wife's A6 so she'll let me know if she notices smoother shifting.

Took me about 3 hours. I'll repeat the process in about another 1k miles but next time i'll only drain and refill.

Cheers.

Midniteoyl 06-13-2009 11:14 PM

I'll repeat the process in about another 1k miles but next time i'll only drain and refill.
I'd wait 4-5k miles, and please, change the filter again. Then you'll be able to go another 60k.

rsonistxl 06-14-2009 07:59 AM

i wanna do this to my tranny but im not sure if i'll have problems with it..

madridlover 06-14-2009 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by rsonistxl (Post 1095449)
i wanna do this to my tranny but im not sure if i'll have problems with it..

IF you do it right i.e have the car level; drain when engine/transmission has cooled down, not hot not cold then you should be fine. I did it without using the VAGCOM and my A6 runs fine, shifts smoothly, and there are no CEL's.

twinturbosixer 06-14-2009 02:13 PM

what year is your a6?

chefro 06-14-2009 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by madridlover (Post 1095464)
IF you do it right i.e have the car level; drain when engine/transmission has cooled down, not hot not cold then you should be fine. I did it without using the VAGCOM and my A6 runs fine, shifts smoothly, and there are no CEL's.

I second the above statement.
Have just done mine last weekend for a second time in two months (not many miles though on the previous change) leaving the "new" filter in, and I will do it again in about 2000 miles, when I'll get in the second new filter. As Jim said, she should be good for another 60,000 miles...probably its life while I own it.
IT CAN BE DONE W/OUT a VAGCOM, indeed, with POSITIVE outcome/results.

madridlover 06-14-2009 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by twinturbosixer (Post 1095513)
what year is your a6?

Mine is a 1998 2.8L Quattro.

Jackmup 06-14-2009 08:19 PM

Since you basically put in what you took out doubt there will be a problem. However You should drive it for the next week just to listen for anything out of the ordinary, God forbid it starts whining and your not driving it. I know my wife wouldn't hear it... Thanks to Audi Symphony!