Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got a 99 Audi A6 Quattro V6/2.8L, need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 03:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Just got a 99 Audi A6 Quattro V6/2.8L, need suggestions

I have had this car for more than one week. I love the car very much so far! It has 87k miles on it. I know it is relatively expensive to fix if in case any problems happened. So I want to make a thorough maintenance in this or next week. Probably change all the fluids? Any suggestions regarding to treat this car properly if you get this car?

I did a mechanical inspection before I bought the car. The mechanic guy said there are no critical problems for the engine or transmission. But he suggested me to change the air filter and replace rotors (brake pads as well). He said that I also need change the timing belt and tires in someday future.

I noticed the "service: insp" light was flashed each time when I start up the car. I know I probably need change the engine oil immediately. Any suggestions that where I should do these maintenance? I am afraid that Audi dealership will quite expensive to do this. Can I trust some small mechanic shop? Whether most of them are qualified to deal with Audi?

Sorry if too many questions.

Thanks!!

Old 09-09-2008, 04:24 PM
2nd Gear

Check the regional sections for a good local independant shop.

at your mileage hopefully your timing belt has been done... you really need to find out.
it might be good to change your spark plugs, maybe the wires... fuel filter, vaccum lines, and air filter... keep a tidy maintenance schedule with the oil changes

Old 09-09-2008, 05:05 PM
2nd Gear

I would run either 5w30 or 0w40 mobil 1 in it. This has nothin to do with the engine but while you are changin your engine air filter, do your cabin air filter as well.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

Join the club!

I just made the mistake of washing out the battery bay after changing the battery and now i've got water somewhere that is making the car misfire.

I'm pullin' the plugs later today, but does anyone know where else I may check for water intrusion?

Oh, and you can EASILY do the oil changes yourself. I'm in AZ so 10W30 full Synth with 7 quarts on hand/new filter should do the trick.

More suggestions: Do the Vag Com mods listed in the other forums, and consider changing out the tensioners if your car clatters like a diesel at idle. This forum & AudiWorld are an INVALUEABLE resource!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Default Place to go in AZ

I have a 1999 A6 2.8 Quattro and found a great servicing place. It is Service Techniques at 116 N Roosevelt #115, Chandler, AZ 85226 (just south of Chandler Blvd two blocks west of Kyreen if you are near here). I now have then do all my work. The changed the timing belt for 1/2 of what the dealer was going to charge. They have done breaks (1/2 price again) and oil changes as well as tune ups. The are terrific. The won't charge you to check out a problem and only for what they do. I had an engine service indicator and the dealer wanted $128 just to read the code. They did it for free and found that I needed to replace the temperature sending unit. GREAT PLACE. Tell them Alan with the Red 99 A6 sent you.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:03 PM
3rd Gear

1. Find a good indy shop.
2. Do the timimg belt, tensioners, waterpump and front seals immedatly.
3. Get a VagCOM
4. Write the tel number for Blauparts, Showcan, and Force five on the wall next to your phone.
5. Find a therapist.
6. Say goodby to your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend cause you'll not have enough money for any relationship with a member of the human species while owning an Audi.
7. Did I mention do the Timing Belt right now?
8. Get a hefty line of credit at the bank.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:08 PM
1st Gear
Default new here too

what is a Vagcom?
I did my brakes myself... it takes maybe 2 -3 hours if you have never done them.. All 4 of my brakes with new rotors cost me less than 230.00 If you want instructions I can write them down.. it's pretty easy.. if you can take a tire off and change oil.. you should be able to do your own brakes.. Dwight

Old 07-21-2009, 01:13 PM
3rd Gear

Do a search on this forum for VagCOM you 'll see

Old 07-21-2009, 01:23 PM
1st Gear

Ok I got it.. thats cool.. I'm going to get one.. thanks

Old 07-21-2009, 01:47 PM

i've had my 2.8 for a year and the biggest problem i had was that the alternator died.. it was tough to replace but not as tough as i thought it would be so i replaced it myself and saved lots of money :] everything else works like new and mind you my car is 12k shy of being twice your mileage

Quick Reply: Just got a 99 Audi A6 Quattro V6/2.8L, need suggestions