Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just upgraded my oil, plugs, etc. -- should this increase my Horse power?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 10:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Just upgraded my oil, plugs, etc. -- should this increase my Horse power?

My car: 2003 A6 2.7T w/ 97,000 miles

Hi guys,
This is my first post on this forum. I've been checking it out for the past week or so and I can;t believe how much information your users offer.

Now to my question; I just finished my 100k mile tune-up on my 03' A6 2.7t. I finallydecided to pay up for the upgrade to Mobile-1 synthetic oil, K&N perminent filter, Euridium (sp?) spark plugs and a bosche fuel filter).
My question is: with the upgrade to the quality of these parts and oil, should I notice a significant upgrade in the drive of my car? In other words, although I'm glad I decided to "treat" my car, I thought I would feel the car driving much faster, but I haven't really noticed much of a difference. Should these particular changes increase my horsepower?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Joe

Old 07-21-2007, 11:06 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Just upgraded my oil, plugs, etc. -- should this increase my Horse power?

These "upgrades" have little to no effect on your HP output. Although they will help your car run cleaner and more efficiently.

Things to think about for greater increases in HP include ECU reprogramming, exhaust, cold air intake, etc, etc. These will probably show the most substantial gains.

If I were you though,I'd be saving up for new turbos considering your current mileage.

Hope this helps. GL

Old 07-22-2007, 01:19 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Just upgraded my oil, plugs, etc. -- should this increase my Horse power?

Did you get your timing belt done? If not, you should DO IT NOW.

Yea, you will not really notice a difference, unless your old plugs were worn out. You should be using synthetic oil in the car!

Old 07-22-2007, 02:03 PM
3rd Gear

You have to figure that the stock 250hp figures given by Audi are for a car that is fully in tune and fairly new. So you were probably making less power until you "treated" it. Stick with the Mobil1 and change it around 6-8k miles unless the car tells you sooner.

Pay attention to the timing belt advice. The manual calls for it at 105k but everybody says do it earlier. I waited until 96k.

If you want power, consider chipping the car. GIAC, APR, etc are all good and it becomes owner preference.Should be good for +70 hp. There are other performance upgrades that will help. (Read through this forum.)

You may or may not need turbos soon, depending on how the previous owner(s) and you treat the vehicle. Give the oil time to warm up before jumping on it, and let it cool down for a few miles after a hard run. I've asked the question about turbo life before and received everything from 50k to some guys claiming 150-160k on original turbos. I believe the latter is absolutely possible if you take care of the car and drive it smart.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:53 AM
1st Gear

Thanks guys. Guess I was hoping for too much, but glad I stepped up and gave the car at least the parts/oil that it needs to run as good as it can.

Two 1/2 quick questions Re: increasing power (whichis my ultimate goal and +70 hp sounds pretty darn good. I'll do some more research into the chips --

1. are they inexpensive and can I install them?

2. Is there a risk of installing a new chip that's too powerful for the current parts in the car? sorryif this sounds silly, I just want to make sure I don't mess the car up asking it to do something that it's not built to do.

thanks again for your thoughts

Old 07-23-2007, 12:04 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: joeq10
Thanks guys. Guess I was hoping for too much, but glad I stepped up and gave the car at least the parts/oil that it needs to run as good as it can.

Two 1/2 quick questions Re: increasing power (which is my ultimate goal and +70 hp sounds pretty darn good. I'll do some more research into the chips --

1. are they inexpensive and can I install them?

2. Is there a risk of installing a new chip that's too powerful for the current parts in the car? sorry if this sounds silly, I just want to make sure I don't mess the car up asking it to do something that it's not built to do.
1. No, not really, they "flash" the ECU now, so no real chip. But if you send it out, you will need to remove & reinstall the ECU. They cost around $500ish. My advice is pick a local shop to do the flash.

2. No, any of the OTS chips will work fine with everything else being stock.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:01 AM
1st Gear

deffinitly would suggest going with a chip do your reasearch on chips before you purchase. as 2K S4 is one of the most knowledgeable people on the site I would look to his sig for chip suggestions.

some tuner (distrubitors) have axcess to certion file that other might not (case in point I have a tweaker GIAC file) you cant get from every disturbitor. so it might be good to select from a shop that is more performance orented than maintince orented even if this means you have to send away your ecu the suport you will most likley receive will be well worth it.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:51 AM
1st Gear

hmm, i have my 99, 2.8 quattro, but my is also lazy biach Hmm, i bought it wit 74k, but lowoutput. All improved after first tune up, but i'm still not happy. May be i need to change my gas filter. I Bought K&N filter just yesterday, so i ill install it today and then i can see any different. Also my catalityc converter is gone. I need to replace it until april 2008 (my inspection day)