AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   k&n (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/k-n-8621/)

beefski 04-15-2005 09:17 PM

k&n

I have heard that I can't use a k&n or similar air filters in my 1996 a6 wagon because it will mess up the mass air flow sensor. Is this true?
Are there any filters for the cabin air. I have a very faint gas smell in the car.
Any info would be great.

ImolaS4 04-15-2005 10:16 PM

RE: k&n

==================
Welcome to Audi Forums beefski!

This is a great site. We keep the dialogue friendly and the attitude positive. It is a great site to find camaraderie with other "Audiphiles", too. I hope you find it to your liking.

Since you're new... check out the START HERE! (click this link) link to get a rundown of the lingo/vocab here at audiforums.

Be sure to search the archives first when you have a question. Chances are the question has been asked before (probably several times) and the archives will have plenty of information; quite often, the answers are comprehensive. If you still need answers, feel free to ask questions in the appropriate forum.

If there is a personal problem with the site or you want to file a complaint about a particular member, then PM the Admin or any moderator. We will keep your PM confidential and respond as soon as possible. Otherwise, feel free to post public messages about the forum on the "Forum Issues" forum (found at the bottom of the main menu). It is there that we prefer you "test" your sig, too.

Don't feel intimidated; we are all a bunch of pretty cool guys (and gals). Feel free to post advice, comments, ideas, suggestions, and even pics in the appropriate forum.

We all welcome you and hope you find this sight informative and enjoyable.
====================

The oil based filters are bad for the MAF. If they get any oil in them, they will be badly damaged.

The cabin filter is located under the hood, near the firewall, on the passenger side IIRC.

ImolaS4 04-15-2005 10:22 PM

BTW: You should have the source of the gas smell resolved. The cabin filter might not solve the problem.

beefski 04-15-2005 11:31 PM

i think i overfilled the tank the first couple of times, the gauge is slow to register. where is the vent for the fuel tank. i will investigate.

ImolaS4 04-16-2005 01:49 AM

Sorry, I don't have that reference. Maybe someone else will know.

ArtsA6Q 05-13-2005 02:59 PM

Bosch should make a Activated Charcoal cabin filter for your car. Please examine their website for model specific application.

The oil is bad for any MAF so it is important that you do not over oil your filter. I personally use the K&N drop in filter for the stock air box. It is situated at some distance from the sensor and oriented in a manner that would reduce the potential of the oil to reach the sensor. You can always clean the sensor as well should any oil get onto it.

Conical air filters increase the risk of oil getting onto the sensor by nature of their design. You need to excercise more care in its maintenance and inspect the surrounding area for any excess filter oil blowby.