Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N and gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Default K&N and gas mileage

There is no question that the A6 is THIRSTY!!!!, does the drop in K&N really help with the miles per gallon?

Old 07-20-2007, 11:47 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: K&N and gas mileage

I don't have one in my A6, but in my old Saab 9k I did and I saw little to no improvement in gas mileage. The only improvement I experienced was the turbo seemed to spool faster. But also my silica count went up a lot in my oil analysis though. So I'm not putting one in my A6. I was very disappointed overall with the filter. It costs a lot of money, doesn’t really live up to what I expected, and also doesn’t filter as well as the plain old cheap paper ones. I was shocked to see the silica (dirt) content in my oil sky rocked after putting that filter in. Blackstone Labs said I needed to start changing my oil sooner after adding the K&N filter. Not worth the money in my opinion, it allows more dirt in, causing your oil to get dirty faster. I am sure that every experience is different with them. My experience was not a good one. Jeff

Old 07-20-2007, 12:23 PM
1st Gear

I agree with Jeffla - in most cases the hp gain is around 3-5hp (contrary to what their "lab tests" might show) and in the A6 I think it is even less. Add the fact the constant oiling of the filter means a greater chance of oil residue faulting the Mass Airflow Sensor, and the fact that most open air filters allow more contaminants through....well I don't think it is worth it.

Besides.....doesn't Fram now have a drop in filter that is washable with water and requires no oiling? That might be worth checking into, but until I confirm how well they work I'll stick with the regular paper filters and just change them at regular intervals.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:28 PM

a topic of much contriversy,
yes it does increase performance and better MPG depending on how heavy the lead foot is ( main problem is people dont read the cleaning instructions ) and thats where the problems start

Old 07-20-2007, 03:37 PM
1st Gear

K&N OilKills MAF

Old 07-20-2007, 03:53 PM
Site Moderator

I clean the oil out of my K&N before i installed it and it seems to work fine. I do seem to have to clean my MAF more often but the good thing is i can wash my air filter every 10k and not having to replace it.
As for performance increase you won't get much hp, but it does let a little more air velocity through the filter so you should see an increase in the turbo spooling up slightly faster.
If you want to save gas mileage, put a can of seafoam in the gas tank, then put about a half a can in the oil run it for about 50 miles then change the oil and filter.
You will be amazed on how much better and smoother the engine will run. Cleaning the MAF sensor is always a good idea too.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:46 PM
3rd Gear

IMHO, no improvement in gas mileage or performance from a K&N. I've had one for the last 40k miles and have always tracked my mileage. No difference before or after. If it added 3-5 hp, my *** can't tell. However, it does know right away when the GIAC chip kicks in the turbos.

The only noticeable benefit is to your wallet.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:45 AM
1st Gear

I didn't have a K&N in myaudi, but I did in a previous vehicle. Infact, it was a complete K&N FIPK. After over a year and around 25 k miles, it may have made a difference of about 0.1 mpg. Yup, nothing significant really.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:06 AM

sound effect is what most people fit them for

Old 08-15-2007, 04:46 PM

before i got my 2004 A6 S-line, I had a 1999 Mazda Millenia S (stock supercharger) and when i putthe K&N in, i could tell a different in the performance. fromwhat you guys are saying, or maybe in reading everyone wrong, but from you guys are saying is that the K&N wont do anything for the A6?

Quick Reply: K&N and gas mileage