Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob RE-SYNCHRONIZING. Key won't work??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:19 PM
2nd Gear
Default Key fob RE-SYNCHRONIZING. If your Key won't work??

I learned a new trick tonight. I recently changed the battery in my key and it would no longer open the door locks. I just sat down and read the manual and found that if you replace the battery you need to re-synch the key.

Here is how it's done.

replace the battery. ( pry open the little tab at the seam in the key, then split the bottom in two with your finger)

Press the lock or unlock button once.
with-in one minute put the key into the drivers door and lock and unlock it manualy.

TADA it works again

I have seen a few threads and questions that said there fob stopped working. so I thought I would throw this out there. I hope that some of you with this problem that don't have manuals because the previous owner kept it for a souvenir will find this Helpful.

Last edited by Jackmup; 04-11-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:35 AM
1st Gear

to be clear you need to hold the unlock button on the fob while you turn the key in the drivers side lock counter clockwise to engage all windows down feature. By the time the windows get half way down it should be programmed. Good lookin out though! Thanks!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:54 AM
2nd Gear

Nope.

Press the lock or unlock button, let go of the button.

stick the key in the door,(with out pressing button) twist left, twist right.

That is all I did and it worked.

Let me know if it works for you.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:12 AM
1st Gear

I will try that next time! Makes it alot easier!! Thanks for the info!!!! I always held button down while unlocking.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

It didn't work for me, i've tried all ways to do it but still nothing. it's going in the shop next week so maybe i can talk them into doing it for free.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

There is one more method to try you need 2 keys put the one that works in ignition and turn to acc. shut and lock door with 2nd key should get an audible beep from car and turn signals will flash hit the lock button on remote it should be programed.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:49 AM
1st Gear

This procedure does not work on my A3. bummer

Old 03-07-2012, 06:16 AM
1st Gear

Hi there, these forums are a real help.

I had the same problem with my key fob after I replaced the battery. I didn't realise that I have to re-sync the system for my Audi A6 Avant yr 2000

This is what the Manual says;

RE-synchronising the system
If the remote control should ever fail to unlock or lock the vehicle, it will be necessary to re-synchronise the system.
The system is automatically re-synchronised if the viehicle is locked or unlocked using the key within a minute of pressing the remote control.
The system will then be functioning again.
-----------------------------------------------------
I have two keys but this procedure only worked for one of them (key A). I'm not sure why it is not working for my other key (key B).

key A - stop working last night and replace the battery.
key B - not been working for about 12 months. Replace battery last night but didn't manage to sync. Any idea if it totally lost it's programme sitting around for agest without replacing the battery?

Great if someone can help regarding key B.

Originally Posted by Jackmup
Press the lock or unlock button once.
with-in one minute put the key into the drivers door and lock and unlock it manualy.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:44 AM
1st Gear

I don't know if it is a complete waste or not but i read one time that if you have two key-fobs only one of them can be synched to the car at a time as a safety precaution don't know if this is true or not because i only have one but that may be why

Old 03-08-2012, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

Hi, I found this on another forum and it worked. Now I have 2 keys that are sync and working!

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=1954050
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1# you take one key put into ignition turn on.

2# close door, lock it with the key hole on driver side,with the key you want to program.

3#once it's lock take the key of the door out press the open button once or 2 or 3 or 4 times depending on which key is being reprogrammed(for the seats memory)you will see your side blink every time you press ,wait 6 secs press again once.take the other key in ignition out.

close the door and try locking with the reprogrammed key.

if you lost the program on other key it's just you didn't select the right memory,so set the right number for the right key
Ex:my wife is 1# in memory seat,mine is 2#.
so i had to press twice in 3# step.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Audi A6 doesn't have memory seat function but it worked for me. I guess it just need to identify which key fob number to sync.

Quick Reply: Key fob RE-SYNCHRONIZING. Key won't work??