AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Keyless entry remote question (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/keyless-entry-remote-question-112792/)

silverjie 09-12-2008 09:32 PM

Keyless entry remote question

I purchased 99 Audi A6 Quattro from a dealer recently. But I only got one regular key and dealer said they don't have keyless entry remote. Here is my question: Can I buy a uncut remote from ebay and program it to use on my car? I know there are compatible issues, but how to avoid this problem? What other issues need be watch out?

The price to get this remote from audi dealer is pretty costy ($250).

Thanks

audi_sf 09-14-2008 10:18 PM

I'd also like to know about this - I got my car with only one remote..

MNA6 09-16-2008 10:50 AM

Go to keylessride.com, they got everything. They give you directions on how to program the remote, problem is you need two working keys to program the remote. I suppose if you order the key and get it cut before you program the remote you're fine. These are the best prices that I found for a factory remote/blank key. Hope this helps.

audi_sf 09-16-2008 01:55 PM

Wait - I need TWO working keyless entry remotes?!?!?!

I have one working, and the one backup/valet key (no remote)

whitey 09-16-2008 02:18 PM

you have to have 2 keys to be able to program the remote but you CAN use the valet key as one of the needed keys to program. programming instructions can be found with a google search.

nemohm 09-16-2008 02:52 PM

Programming a remote is described in your User manual.
Wallet key has no remote capabilities.
Immobilizer (if any) could be configured by the dealers only.

This site has large info on keys...

Ligist 09-16-2008 05:22 PM

if u dont want to pay for the key from the dealer, u can always go to circuitcity or something i know they sell keyless entries and will program them for u, only prob is most of them look pretty ugly lol, i have the same problem, except my keyless doesnt work at all, and if i get one from the dealer its not one built into the key, its a seperate little piece thats $100 alone so im quite happy with just putting the key into the door to open and lock it right now lol

Jeffla 09-16-2008 05:53 PM

I can add that some remotes are interchangeable. For example P/N 4Do-837-231e or p
can be used. I have both an e and a p remote. The only numbers on your remove that matter are the P/N. The can and fcc are not important so long as the p/n's match.

There are a few remotes that are interchangeable, I just know for sure that e's and p's are.

Jeff

oc_audica 09-16-2008 06:05 PM

i got my car with 4 keys!
2 keyless, 1 solid, and another plastic one

whitey 09-17-2008 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by oc_audica (Post 949977)
i got my car with 4 keys!
2 keyless, 1 solid, and another plastic one

you can program up to 4 remotes...don't know why anyone would need 4 remotes but you can do it if you want to.