Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's play "What's that noise...?"

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 11:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Let's play "What's that noise...?"

so here's the quick version....

I noticed the car was riding louder. Like driving on a beat-up Michigan Highway versus some fancy new turnpike. The noise was NOT a grinding or repetitive noise just sounded like road noise.

I replaced all 4 Pirelli P6's (which were worn pretty well) with Brdigestone P09's, yesterday.

Today, I noticed something really strange - the noise essentially disappears when I turn the wheel to the right (even the slightest bit) but going straight or to the left, it's like I am back on a Michigan Highway.

Any thoughts...?

Old 07-22-2007, 01:33 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Let's play "What's that noise...?"

That really isn't a good description of what the noise is, is it a drone? A click? A whistle? A rumble? In order for anybody to help you must give a better description of what the noise is, thanks. [8D]

Old 07-22-2007, 01:38 AM
1st Gear

hey thanks - for the quick response. it's hard to describe the noise - if i had to describe it, i would say it sounds like a shop fan a drone (to use one of the options you listed. For sure not a click, whistle or rumble. Does that help?

Old 07-22-2007, 02:32 PM
3rd Gear

If it's a steady rumble that goes away when you turn the wheel in one direction only, I would bet on a frontwheel bearing. I just can't remember which one is being "unweighted" when you turn the wheel right.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah then i would guess its the left front wheel bearing making noise but i can't be sure of that.
If you have access to a floor jack, jack the front of the car up and try to turn both front wheels by hand when its in neutral. One should be harder to turn than the other. Or better yet if you know someone with a lift, lift it up turn the ESP off, then get it up to speed, you should hear the grind and have someone else below the car identify which wheel its coming from.
If your doing the floor jack idea it will be a lot harder because you won't be able to turn the wheels really fast because of the quattro all wheel drive.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:59 PM
1st Gear

That seems to be the consensus (wheel bearing) I don't have access to a jack or the ability to get the thing off the floor - but since it's still under warranty, I'll be taking it to the dealership in a week. I'd love to take it in sooner as I know this problem could/will result in a failure. But the closest dealership is 3 hours away and I can't get there until then. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Old 07-22-2007, 10:23 PM
2nd Gear

If you are turning left and the noise/vibration increases then it will be the right side bearing that needs replacement. If noise/vibration occurs when you are turning right then it is left bearing.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-25-2007, 09:06 AM
1st Gear

it seems like a bad wheel bearing can make a few noises. will a bad wheel bearing make a more pronounced and louder sound while applying your brakes?