Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little fender bender... and a quick car review.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 12:30 PM
3rd Gear
Default A little fender bender... and a quick car review.

Sort of an off topic, but I figure I post it here. I was involved in a very small fender bender. I was stopped to put the car in a parallel parking position, and a guy decides to go around me. I don't really know what he was looking at, but he clips my corner with his wheel well. Bummer...

As you can see the damage is really minor. I almost thought about letting the guy go, but I knew that I would think about this crap for the rest of my life if I did.

Anyway, his insurance is picking up the tab and I am now driving a 2011 Nissan Rogue AWD.

So here is the part that pertains to the forum.

I really like my 10 year old Audi.

When I got to the rental place, they were nice enough to get me something that was comparable to my A6 Avant. They point me to the Rogue. Although I was not really digging the look, I figured it would be nice to drive a brand new AWD SUV for a change. The following is what I noticed so far.

Interior: Actually pretty good looking gauge pod... Other than that, it doesn't compare to my Audi. Materials are plasticky... (Actually they are plastic.) They feel so cheap. Ergonomics is pretty bad. I am 6'3" and not having a telescoping column really doesn't help my driving position. In addition, I am noticing bad rear visibility. Having a higher seating position compared to my Avant should help the rear visibility, but it is otherwise.

Drivetrain: 2.5L 4 cylinder is loud. CVT feels really weird. This is the first time I am driving a CVT. I expect the car to shift, but it doesn't. It just feels weird. I guess one can claim that I am not used to driving a CVT. Even comparing to a standard slushbox (which I don't like, but have), there seems to be a disconnect where I feel like I am being robbed of power. As for the AWD, I can't really compare to the quattro system, since I am just riding this on dry pavements. One question about the AWD... why is there an AWD Lock button when the car should be a full time AWD vehicle? I don't know.

Ride: Obviously this is a SUV. I never liked them and probably never will. Higher center of gravity feels less secured compared to the Avant. I need new suspension in my car, but it feel better than the Rogue.

Steering: Steering is really tight without feeling too connected. I really don't feel like trying any high speed maneuvers on this thing. Parking this thing, which is smaller than my Avant is more troublesome. Yes, maybe I am more used to my car, but hard steering combined with poor visibility doesn't really help.

So the moral of all this??? I haven't really found anything that comes close to my 10 year old, 130K mile Audi that I considered owing in reasonable price range. I guess I will be driving my Avant for awhile.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:18 AM
3rd Gear

That's why I put money right now in my 16 yr ole tank. The only hope is that the gas prices stay under $ 4 for 4-5 more years. 24 mpg still beats most of the folks that drive trucks and SUVs for leasure. And the ride is.....priceless. De gustibus...
My next car will probably be a Hyundai Sonata 2.0T (274 hp - plenty power for US roads)

Old 03-30-2011, 10:57 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by chefro
That's why I put money right now in my 16 yr ole tank. The only hope is that the gas prices stay under $ 4 for 4-5 more years. 24 mpg still beats most of the folks that drive trucks and SUVs for leasure. And the ride is.....priceless. De gustibus...
My next car will probably be a Hyundai Sonata 2.0T (274 hp - plenty power for US roads)
Man Chefro, you are my long lost brother. I was thinking exactly the same about the Hyundai. But I looked at Kia Optima and now I am leaning toward that. Pretty much the same drivetrain and the chassis, but different look... You buy one and I will come test drive.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:06 PM
3rd Gear

For the price of annual maintenance and the occasional aggravation of small repairs, I will be keeping my 188k winter cruiser for a long time as well. It's plenty comfortable and plush, and very sure-footed in snow and ice. I suspect there are equivalent or even marginally better vehicles out there now, but no reason to pay $30-50k for "just a little bit better".

Old 03-31-2011, 01:00 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ppgoal
I suspect there are equivalent or even marginally better vehicles out there now, but no reason to pay $30-50k for "just a little bit better".
Hell, yeah! And I swear I don't even have the slightest inclin to be jealous at people who spend $ 40-50,000 on a new car. If they can afford to spend that kind of money on a transportation box on four wheels, then the more power to them. Life is short anyway.
-----
Gaser,
you get the Optima and I'll get the Sonata - unless they come up with a turbo 4 for the Elantra as well. We have no kids, so a smaller sedan is not a hindrance for the two of us. I must say though, Sonata's line are much smoother and well proportioned.
Well, don't want to turn the thread into a new Hyundai mongering business, so I'll stop here.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:56 PM
3rd Gear

I actually have a 4 year old. So larger is better. I would consider an Elantra Wagon though...

I just came across a 1992 BMW 525 wagon with about 120K on the clock. The thing is that this beast was gone through a 5 speed manual conversion. I want! I know another off topic.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:01 AM
3rd Gear

mmmmmmmmmmmmm....manual me like it.
Audi or else, MY (not ours - that would be an automatic Sonata/Elantra type) next car should be a manual. Even after 16 years I miss so much driving a stick shift on a busy two-lane road!!!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:12 AM
3rd Gear

Hi Guys!

We got an April 1 snow storm today and I found myself making a decision to take the long way to work this AM to avoid a hill because I didn't have an Audi.

This is the first time I missed having a quattro!
Does this make me a sick puppy or is it normal Audi withdrawal?

Old 04-01-2011, 03:43 PM
3rd Gear

nah, it just means you don't have tires with good threads.. LOL.
We miss your rants, man.

*** I just noticed in an advertising flyer a 1993 90 CS for $ 1,695... I would have made it a project car, but I started dumping money in the ongoing rebuild... bummer

Old 04-01-2011, 06:03 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by NH_USA
Hi Guys!

We got an April 1 snow storm today and I found myself making a decision to take the long way to work this AM to avoid a hill because I didn't have an Audi.

This is the first time I missed having a quattro!
Does this make me a sick puppy or is it normal Audi withdrawal?
I have a 2001 A6 Avant for sale! Just kidding... That's the thing right? Once you have quattro, you never go back.