Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little jerks when starting from stop or stopping

Old 11-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Default Little jerks when starting from stop or stopping

Hi Everyone,

My 2003 Audi A6 3.0L CVT FWD has a weird problem. As I accelerate from a complete stop, for the first 2-3 seconds, I can feel very small jerks. The same jerks can be felt when I am coming to a stop - just 2-3 seconds before the car comes to a full stop.

I do not feel the brake pads moving, so may not be the ABS. Is it a problem with the transmission?

Mind it, that the jerks are only noticeable at very low speeds. If I accelerate very rapidly from a stop position, I do not feel these jerks.

Has anyone else seen this problem, and if so, what was the fix? I do not want to take it to the dealer before I get an idea what may be wrong.

Thanks.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:13 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Little jerks when starting from stop or stopping

It's the tranny. The CVT sometimes develops a "shudder" which most of the time can be fixed with a reflash from the dealer. In some cases the tranny had to be replaced at the tune of about $13,000 including labor...do you have extended warranty?

Old 11-05-2007, 04:10 PM

Thanks slee22, I do not have extended warranty - now I feel extemely concerned with the notion that the transmission may be the problem (with a price tag of $13K). Do you know how much "reflashing" going to cost and how long does it take. For a novice like me - what exactly is "reflash"?
THANKS.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:32 AM
2nd Gear

A reflash is areprogramming of the TCU (transmission crontrol unit). I think most of the reflashes werepaid forby the dealer, but I'm not too sure I haven't had to have it done...knock on wood. How many miles do you have? If they are pretty low, you might have a pretty good chance of a reflash instead of replace. Also I know it's a little late but you might want to look into a warranty. It will pay for itself down the road, especially when you start replacing things like control arms for around $1000.