AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A6 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/)
-   -   Looking to buy a 2006 A6 Avant (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/looking-buy-2006-a6-avant-224664/)

Joegolden481 05-01-2017 06:14 PM

Looking to buy a 2006 A6 Avant

The car is navy blue with tan interior. It has had 4 owners with a beautiful carfax. No accidents and 34 service records. 1st owner was in Southampton and owned it for 3 yrs and only put 5k miles on it. Ladeeda!

I drove the car this afternoon and it drives great. I looked for oil leaks this time and found none. But it is not without its faults. It has 130k miles. The CEL is on I pulled the codes and it's AMF sensor. That should be an easy fix. There is a headlight warning coming up on the center display. It is a yellow headlamp with a curved arrow on top. Is this regarding the directional headlamps? Does anyone know? Also my main concern is the MMI is intermittent. Sometimes it works and most of the time it does not. This is per the owner selling the car. It worked the entire time during the test drive.

Everything else is working well. Very little wear and tear inside and out. He is asking $5100 obo which seems a little high given the problems but these things are hard to find in my area period! Would love to hear any thoughts or opinions. Thanks. Joe

twopedalwarrior 05-01-2017 10:37 PM

you main concern should be the timing chain covers at the back of the engine. Why? I just bought an 2007 3.2 A6 that had every spot on the back leaking worse than a std laden singapore whore.

I kid you not, get that thing to a certified Audi mechanic and get it on a hoist to look. My car has a 1 owner history and over 50 recorded services. I am VERY luck as the dealership that I bought it from paid to have the engine rebuild and zero cost to me. The had to drop the transmission, pull the engine and pulled the heads. All because the rear timing covers were leaking and the head gasket was damanged in the repair process.

The 3.2 engine has 4 timing chains at the rear and the chain can get slack of the engine doesn't have regular oil changes, of the right type 0/30. The tensioners will eventually break down and the chains get slack and boom bent valve.

The dealership paid close to 10k (Canadian) for this rebuild at no cost to me. Would I buy a audi like this again knowing what I know, damn straight I would. It drives wonderfully and is a solid car.

Do you have the money to maintain it is also the other question? I could go one and one on this one. I might even encourage you to PM me and we can even talk on the phone. This isn't a small purchase by any stretch. Put out the 100 or so for a full audi inspection and count your blessings if its a lemon

Joegolden481 05-02-2017 06:46 AM

Two pedal thanks for the heads up! No this is not my first rodeo with these. Check out my avatar. Thankfully. No oil or fluid leaks. My silver one had so many leaks front and back it was frightening. I even had it pooling in the valley between the cylinders. BUT like you said it was a great wagon. Best driving car I ever did own lol right?